Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Joe Heck Racing shifter&bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Default Joe Heck Racing shifter&bushing install

Ok so I ordered the Joe Heck Racing short throw shifter assembly w/black racing ****&the upgraded urethane shifter bushing on 3/19/11.
I Paid $215 got an email my order was completed monday.
Came home today and the package was on my door step, proceed to tear into it. One awesome shifter assembly very sexy looking with nice cheap looking printed instructions with no pictures in them.
Also in box, but bewilderment set it when I saw a preformed hole next to the shifter that I knew should have contained one badass looking black aluminum racing shift ****
Ok so strike one in my book. Slightly perturbed I moved onto the second little box in the package and opened it.
Loe&behold one very nice urethane bushing assembly inside awesome I say to myself. Until no instructions we're found not to mention the assembly doesn't have an orientation marking anywhere on it so you can see which way to mount it while your underneath your steed. So thats strike two for $215 worth of merchandise.
Which let me tell you if your like most stang owners I imagine is flat on your back with the car on a set of jack stands right?
Anyways moving on I called JHR immediately I was put on hold for a brief moment and spoke to a guy who didn't give his name but told me they must have just forgot to ad the **** to the box like it was no big deal. Even though it clearly states on my order which he verified that I ordered&paid for the shifter,****&bushing.
So he takes my cell number down&says they will get one out to me by the end of today*that was around 3pm georgia time. If not they will call me*no call as of writing this* and let me know when it will ship out.
So onto the installation after reading the crappy instructions minus pictures I got the center console off&unplugged sitting on my pass seat.
I got the car on jackstands and me&gsxster had at it.
It took us about an hour total to do due to lack of a complete&thorough instruction manual*not to mention a long enough extension.
Which frustrated us on which way the bushing was supposed to go in order for the shifter to be in the right place*the factory assembly is non directional btw*
So we finally figure out which way it should go orientation achieved we proceed to attempt forcing it over the back of shifter. After 10 or so minutes of nothing we then figure out that the bushing comes apart
So we slip it up a little fit it over the end push it down put it in place and tighten down the two 10mm bolts. I meanwhile had installed the shifter assembly which is best done btw before you remount the bushing assembly
So that done we button the car back up, fire it up and take it for a spin. Wow on first shift the shortness of the throws is amazing and the car does not feel like it will pop out of gear now, reverse also takes a concentrated effort not herculean by any means but a solid downward push to engage.
Shifting gears is a blast now as the shifter snicks solidly into each gear, we're thinking the shifter alone could easily be worth a tenth or two due to reduced throws and would/should make speed/power shifting easier. All that said I hate the feel of this shifter with the stock **** for some reason it doesn't feel right, whereas the stock shifter&**** did feel relatively good
So I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the black aluminum ****&hoping that with an adjustment of the shifter height combined with the **** will make this daily driver delightful to have a direct dalliance with
Now hate on me all you want for not posting pics of the installation process I know you will
Oh yes and you will noticed drastically increased nvh levels with this installed
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

That's why I stick w/ barton, steeda, good product, good customer support.....but I had roush on my '10, was nice....but the shifting in a stock '11 v6, is tighter than the stock '10, thus after talking to roush, asked why they have not come out with their own, oh they went to, made a proto, found the amount of throw was not that much so decided not to proceed, I having their short throw in my '10 had to agree, the stock v6 shift pattern is close enough, $300 saved for another mod.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Ok so update with pics this time

So I broke the reverse lockout piece which is what I thought I had done this morning when it would go into reverse without having to push down on the shifter. So I have removed the JHR shifter and sent it back. I spoke with Adam at JHR and he was very nice I had talked to him yesterday*he remembered me and the missing shift *****anyway he was very nice and we talked for a while. With me venting about the lack of pictures in the instruction manual*a video is being edited as we speak to be posted to their website&youtube* He said that would be addressed along with the video of installation. I also told him the bushing while a great piece could use some form of marking for installation orientation or a good set of instructions as well. So those things addressed he processed a refund for me and after telling him about breaking the reverse lockout. They are going to revisit the manufacturing process and address this issue from this point on with the material selection. Overall I feel a lot better having been able to talk to someone that can effect changes with the issues that occurred during installation and knowing going forward it will be an easier and better thought out process.
All that said I do feel bad for venting but when you pay for a part and go through the effort to installing it yourself. And then something like what happened with the part breaking and allowing the car to go into reverse well what can I say? I will say this the stock shifter with their bushing is now rock solid in comparison to the stock zip tied piece which reminds me I need to snap a pic of that and post it just for grins&giggles