Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 AM
RockStang

The only thing though is the gas tank is really small. I just traded in a 2010 Charger for the Mustang and the mustang has much much better gas mileage but the Charger had a huge tank and did better MPG.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Excuse me?what are you saying?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ever notice that little sticker on the pump: "...may contain up to 10% ethanol"?

You can fill-up with a 5% mix one time and then a few days later, from the SAME GAS STATION, tank up with a 10% (or higher; the controls and policing isn't very good) and there goes a MPG or 2 or 3.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I haven't noticed that much of a variation in tanks for the same kind of driving.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I haven't noticed that much of a variation in tanks for the same kind of driving.
I was simply pointing out the possible variations and there are many more. Even if you had the same fuel to use to perform your tests (which would eliminate one of many variables), you still won't see the exact same mileage from fill-up to fill-up. Also, if you're not resetting the onboard at each fill-up, you WON'T see much variation even when your mileage varies due to the averaging that the onboard does. After thousands of data points a dip or peak can't be detected.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockStang
Got 33 MPG today on the highway going to work Going 80MPH
BS!!! Maybe on the back of a tow truck at idle!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I was simply pointing out the possible variations and there are many more. Even if you had the same fuel to use to perform your tests (which would eliminate one of many variables), you still won't see the exact same mileage from fill-up to fill-up. Also, if you're not resetting the onboard at each fill-up, you WON'T see much variation even when your mileage varies due to the averaging that the onboard does. After thousands of data points a dip or peak can't be detected.
I gotcha. Weather and traffic can affect mpgs too, just to name a couple.

As for the small tank comment someone made, I do miss my 20 gallon 350z tank.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default the Gas Mileage Game

I probably pay too much attention to my gas mileage, and I DON'T have a performance package. But I have noticed that what you guys are saying is true.
If you get long runs on the freeway at 70 mph or less you can get fantastic mileage. I can get 30-35 mpg on the freeway. If I set the cruise control at 65 I am sure I can do even better. I am running the Steeda CAI and tune with 91 octane.

The around town driving does kill the MPG, but I still pull off around 26 or better most of the time and I am kind of an assertive driver.

It has gotten hot here the last few days, I think was about 106*F yesterday when I was driving around, I am expecting that to make an impact on my mileage as well. I slogged it in some seriously slow traffic yesterday because of a bad accident, I think the read out was say 23-24 mpg, and it is usually low by about 1.5 mpg. But anything that would get better mileage pretty much would have less power.

I still think dollar for dollar the 3.7l is fantastic value. I would be hard pressed to find some thing else that would be as fun to drive and as easy on wallet to fill up.

As for the tank size, I typically go around 380 miles in between fill up(13-14 gallons), I have no complaints about that. I am currently paying about $3.69 for 91. If I am closer to Los Angles It is cost more like $3.89. It is nice to finally go to the pump and not pay over $60 for a fill up
I am really looking forward to trying some more bolt on mods. So far my MPG got slightly better with each mod.

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 07-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
moto2000

I have a v6 and i usually always fill up 89. Here in California we have 87/89/91. I have about 1200 miles on it, I reset my mpg meter at 50 miles, and right now, im averaging about 17.5. I drive almost all city, either in Los Angeles or San Diego.

So 2 questions:
Will filling up with different octane gases affect mpg?
Will mpg improve a bit once it gets broken in more?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by RockStang
The only thing though is the gas tank is really small. I just traded in a 2010 Charger for the Mustang and the mustang has much much better gas mileage but the Charger had a huge tank and did better MPG.
A bigger tank won't give you better MPG - and you already said that the Mustang has "much much better gas mileage" which is MPG. I think that you meant to say range - miles per tank. A bigger tank with similar MPG will have more range.

Quick Reply: Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package