Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Speed up my stang

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Question Speed up my stang

How can I improve my 2011 v6 mustang so that it has better performance? Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zacmustang
How can I improve my 2011 v6 mustang so that it has better performance? Any feedback is appreciated!
Well first, welcome to the forum!

There are dozens of ways you can get more performance...but what are you trying to accomplish? Are you drag racing, road racing, stylin' on the street, rally racing, what? Pretty much whatever you can think of, it's been done to or in a Mustang!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Mostly just road racing. Looking for something to impress my friends when they drive with me
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

If I did it all over again, I would do the gears first. You will need a tuner to go with it though.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I got 3.73 gears and love them. I started out with 3.31s from the factory which were okay, but I just can't say enough good things about the 3.73s. I didn't take too much of a hit on mpgs either. I can still get 28-30mpg at 65-70mph. As for the tuner, I just have the SCT tuner and it does okay since most vendors support them. I'd simply go with Bama since you get free tunes as long as you own your car. So if you change anything down the road, you can get additional changes without putting more money in.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hogasswild
If I did it all over again, I would do the gears first. You will need a tuner to go with it though.
Gears are a major performance changer bit will set you back $5 - $600 installed.

For less than 1/2 that, I would buy a Cold Air Intake (aka CAI) as a first mod. Search around, they can be found used!

CAI on these V6s make a huge power difference (10-15HP and around 24TQ boost)! That is HUGE! There are videos with dyno runs to prove these claims. Search YouTube and also American Muscles videos.

I bought a used CAI the other day for $150, slapped it on and could not believe the difference it made! I also just picked up a new SCT tuner for $310 shipped and it made a major difference on top of the CAI!

I've owned about 100 different vehicles over my lifetime, modded most of them and have NEVER seen a car/truck respond to a CAI upgrade as this 3.7 V6 did! It is unreal!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Gears are a major performance changer bit will set you back $5 - $600 installed.

For less than 1/2 that, I would buy a Cold Air Intake (aka CAI) as a first mod. Search around, they can be found used!

CAI on these V6s make a huge power difference (10-15HP and around 24TQ boost)! That is HUGE! There are videos with dyno runs to prove these claims. Search YouTube and also American Muscles videos.

I bought a used CAI the other day for $150, slapped it on and could not believe the difference it made! I also just picked up a new SCT tuner for $310 shipped and it made a major difference on top of the CAI!

I've owned about 100 different vehicles over my lifetime, modded most of them and have NEVER seen a car/truck respond to a CAI upgrade as this 3.7 V6 did! It is unreal!

Like HogAssWild I'd prefer to go with @ least 3.55 gears & a Bama 89 Tune !!

I am curious Katmandu , are those CAI power increases shown on a dyno anywhere, or just something you read in a Ad ???

Reason I ask; is I saw Mustang engineers on Jay Leno's garage & he asked them about it! Their reply was they had engineered the Mustang Air-box to obtain full flow & performance !!

Now if you ad headers, catbacks, & a Tuner, then of course you'll see more power !!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=OlPal;8461760]Like HogAssWild I'd prefer to go with @ least 3.55 gears & a Bama 89 Tune !!

I am curious Katmandu , are those CAI power increases shown on a dyno anywhere, or just something you read in a Ad ???

I"ve seen a couple vids of a before and after dyno with just CAI, I personally didn"t feel any extra with just a CAI, However after my Bama tune with CAI, I felt a BIG difference in Torque and power, I"m currantly running 93 performance tune and it rocks
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

I"ve seen a couple vids of a before and after dyno with just CAI, I personally didn"t feel any extra with just a CAI, However after my Bama tune with CAI, I felt a BIG difference in Torque and power, I"m currantly running 93 performance tune and it rocks[/QUOTE]
One more thing, If you really want your 3.7 to sound awesome, a Magnaflo cat back is what I got( and they have other setups), and it sounds awesome, I will get 3.73 gears for my next and Last mod if I can find a shop in my area to do the install, Just saying , these motors are really fast if you have the cash
Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM
XGC JACOBS

A tuner is your best bet. Go with an SCT tuner and try out some tunes from BAMA. They give you free tunes for life so when you make additional mods all you have to do is give them a call and theyll hook you up. As far as speed improvement and "butt dyno horsepower" tuner is the way to go. I've gone from stock tune to 93 race tune back to stock and then back to another tune and its night and day between the two. Best $$ spend IMO. The difference in throttle response will take some getting used to.