351 Mustang

Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Brakes...

I'm pretty sure my 87 LX still has the 4 cylinder brakes and since there's a 351 in there now I figured I would upgrade to a fresh set of V8 brakes (even though it's not that big of a difference).

So, I purchased the following:

Brakes:

New brake calipers - 60MM
S/S brake lines (front)
S/S caliper bushings
New caliper mounting bolts
New PowerStop ceramic brake pads
New PowerStop cross-drilled and slotted rotors
New dust shields
V8 spindles
New spindle nut kit
New spindle end caps
New brake drums
New Maximum Motorsports high performance brake shoes
Brake drum repair/assembly kit

My question is, do I have to change my master cylinder and power booster??? Besides everything being brand new, the only other difference between the 4 cylinder brakes and V8 brakes are the rotors (if I'm not mistaken). I believe on a 4 cylinder it's a 10" and on an V8 it's an 11".

I just want a fresh V8 setup before I upgrade to a Cobra kit a few years from now.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm bringing the car into the shop NEXT Saturday and I want to be prepared with the parts - thanks!!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 AM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

ok first there is one thing missing from your parts list, the 4 cyl brake hoses actually screw into the calipers whereas the v8 brake hose has a banjo bolt that secures the hose to the caliper youll need 2 of them one for each side. that is of course if your lines didnt already come with them but i doubt it. as far as the booster and master cylinder goes, i drove mine around with the v8 brakes and 4 cyl m/c and booster and when i did switch the only thing i noticed is i didnt have to squash the pedal to stop it, but my booster could have been going bad to begin with so "if" it was me id install the m/c and booster and just be done with it, it did make a difference for me. good luck
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrenchturner75
ok first there is one thing missing from your parts list, the 4 cyl brake hoses actually screw into the calipers whereas the v8 brake hose has a banjo bolt that secures the hose to the caliper youll need 2 of them one for each side. that is of course if your lines didnt already come with them but i doubt it. as far as the booster and master cylinder goes, i drove mine around with the v8 brakes and 4 cyl m/c and booster and when i did switch the only thing i noticed is i didnt have to squash the pedal to stop it, but my booster could have been going bad to begin with so "if" it was me id install the m/c and booster and just be done with it, it did make a difference for me. good luck
Thanks! Can these banjo bolts be purchased at a local auto parts store?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

yea they should, store i went to had em in stock. ps when they tear it apart theres no better time to put new balljoints in, there gonna have the spindle off anyway, so if you never replaced em nows the time to do it, i got rid of an annoying squeak after i did mine. took me 5 min to press the old one out and put it back in and now i can grease the damn things too! just a thought. good luck
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrenchturner75
yea they should, store i went to had em in stock. ps when they tear it apart theres no better time to put new balljoints in, there gonna have the spindle off anyway, so if you never replaced em nows the time to do it, i got rid of an annoying squeak after i did mine. took me 5 min to press the old one out and put it back in and now i can grease the damn things too! just a thought. good luck
Thanks!!!! I'll keep you all updated!