Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

DIY Axle Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default DIY Axle Back

So i just got my axle back today, and I was wondering if anybody had any write ups on how to install them....I am not a very handy person (it took me 2 hours to install pedals [:-])

It is just a GT take off.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: DIY Axle Back

chrisc,

Not sure if you are looking to go single or duals, but look here first. It is a sticky in the 4.0L drivetrain sub-section. Not trying to volunteer anyone, but you could always send a PM to tres to get his advice.

When I installed my single GT take-off muffler, I backed the car so the rear hung out over the curb. I used my '66 to block the curb area, creating a safer work zone. I undid the hanger bolts and undid the clamp to the front of the muffler where it meets the pipe. It sprung free with little effort. There is a notch that you need to align the muffler with to the pipe. Slide the muffler on, but don't tighten the clamp. Attach the remaining hangers, and check for fit. My tailpipe actually touched the bumper, so I stood on the tailpipe and bounced the car up & down. That's all it needed. I tightened the muffler clamp and was on my way. Took me about 45 minutes, but I had a neighbor come over to supervise me while I worked (i.e. we were both drinking and talking - he stood while I worked).

Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Euronimous

I would call a muffler shop. I got a quote to replace my muffler from a local Cole Muffler shop for $20. Seems like it might save ya some frustration. I hear that some of the hangers can be a real b&%#* if you haven't done it before.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

lol yeah, i called around too and it seems pretty cheap, i think i will go with that...i dont even have the equipment to do put it on myself, it would definitly cost me more than $20
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

I installed my gt take off my self not too long ago, it isnt really that difficult, well... ive been a mechanic for about 7 years or so 3 of that in the Army working on 5 tons, 10 tons, hummers, and Light tanks, Ive done some real PIA exhaust work before, the axle back was a cake walk...lol, If I lived near by you Id put it on for free. But My gt take off is starting to "season" itself and wear in. It sounds SOOOOOOO good! I was up in Newton, Ks, not far from my house, downtown between all the tall buildings and it seems that mygt take off just filled the air with echoes of a low booming, mellow GT type sound, Granted its not a V8, but it sounds dang close. I love it whole heartedly...lol I am sure you will too!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

lol...."cake walk" comming from the guy who built tanks.....

i can barely build a model tank from the hobby shop [&:]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 PM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

Well I mostly just fixed em when they broke, usually on the tank called the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, but really its easy, you take off that silencer rubber thing at the end of the muffler (2 bolts), then the muffler clamp (1 bolt) I didnt even take my hanger bolts off, I just pryed the pipe out of the muffler, then slid the muffler back and out. The reversed all of that to put the GT muffler in. So (3 bolts, alot of wiggling, and patience " not taking a hammer to it when it pisses you off" and thats it!) LOL. If you feel its too much to deal with, go ahead and take it to a muffler shop, no sense in accidentally mangling a world class 5 star automobile..lol I think so anyways.

2006 Mustang Premium
4.0L V6 2V
Black Clearcoat w/ white pinstripe and "mustang" tape on bottom
GT take off muffler
K&N drop in filter
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol my single set off alarms in parking garages