Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Muffler+Intake+Tune=What HP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Default Muffler+Intake+Tune=What HP?

Does anyone have dyno results showing what gains they've made with the above mentioned modifications?

I've read the GT takeoff is worth approximately 10 rwhp, and have seen numbers of 15 to 25 for the intake and tune, but does anyone have real evidence? It's not like it's a big deal or anything, I'm just curious. I know my car runs significantly better, but I'm just trying to determine what the actual hp gains are. Based on what I've read, it would be reasonable to assume that 25 to 30 rwhp is what you get. For an auto that would equate to 30 to 36 under the hood, making 240 to 246 hp. Based on the cars performance those numbers seem reasonable. It's obvious the torque has increased as well. Based on the hp numbers, 265 to 275 would seem reasonable. Driving my brothers Infinity FX35, which is not AWD, my car seems to have a little more torque (his is rated at 270), though he's got me in hp (280 vs. ?).

I think about this crap too much.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Muffler+Intake+Tune=What HP?

Im pretty sure you wouldnt get that much o_O
Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewStangDude

Does anyone have dyno results showing what gains they've made with the above mentioned modifications?

I've read the GT takeoff is worth approximately 10 rwhp, and have seen numbers of 15 to 25 for the intake and tune, but does anyone have real evidence? It's not like it's a big deal or anything, I'm just curious. I know my car runs significantly better, but I'm just trying to determine what the actual hp gains are. Based on what I've read, it would be reasonable to assume that 25 to 30 rwhp is what you get. For an auto that would equate to 30 to 36 under the hood, making 240 to 246 hp. Based on the cars performance those numbers seem reasonable. It's obvious the torque has increased as well. Based on the hp numbers, 265 to 275 would seem reasonable. Driving my brothers Infinity FX35, which is not AWD, my car seems to have a little more torque (his is rated at 270), though he's got me in hp (280 vs. ?).

I think about this crap too much.

Here check this out (just what your looking for ) with dyno results that you requested the guy Justin from VMP tuning is a respected tuner and did a nice write up.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread...0af3ee&t=25551

I also agree with Jimp and Justin IMO would like to see a second dyno on the MRT muffler per Scrming post of 17 rwhp. (no offense scrming)

Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

the ratings that you are looking at for the cars are off the crank, and a lot of the ratings you hear for the mods are rwhp....so you will need to take that into account.

i am guessing that the people running 200rwhp have around 250hp off the crank?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

200rwhp just be like 236 at the crank. I think scrming said there was 18% drivetrain loss.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:57 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Based on Justin's car and numbers, 25 hp would be the total gain. He doesn't mention torque gain with the intake, so I'm assuming 6, which would then total 20 for torque. If these numbers are accurate then under the hood would be approximately 240 hp, 260 torque. For a car to make 200 rwhp then under the hood hp would have to be either 244 (using 18%) or 250 (using 20%), which would then mean there is 4 to 10 hp unaccounted for, along with a proportional amount of torque. Based on this information I think it would be safe to say that with the afore mentioned modifications then the minimum numbers would be approximately 240/260 (hp/torque) and a maximum of 250/270, making some assumptions. For me to know for sure, I would have to test my own car since there is some variation from car to car, but the numbers should be close to what Justin has documented. Not too shabby.

Thanks to all for your responses.