Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I'm thinking of getting the dual exaust...I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm thinking of getting the dual exaust...I have a few questions

First of all, I got an 06 v6er w/ pony pkg

I'm not that familiar with the exausts, so if you could guys point me in the right direction that would be awesome. What's the best kind of exaust to get? List everything I need to buy in order to have the complete set. How much HP does it increase, if any, and does it help raise the MPG or lower it?

I'm also looking for something that's not TOO loud. How much money am I looking to spend on all of this?

Thanks for your help
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm thinking of getting the dual exaust...I have a few questions

Alright here are your options. Good brands are Magnaflow, Flowmaster, JBA, Borla or GT take off exhaust. Depending on the system you buy you should buy an x or h pipe. If you got the GT Take off's (which are cost efficient compared to others) you will need to take it to a muffler shop so they can custom fabricate the left side pipes. Personally i would choose Magnaflow, alot of people use them and are very happy but that just depends on your budget. Dual exhaust usually nets about 10-12hp to the wheels. And if you dont have a lead foot so you drive normal itll raise the mpg slightly but not much. On the terms of loudness, The GT Exhaust has a real nice deep tone to it but its not real loud, justa little bit louder over the v6 exhaust. Hope you enjoy the new exhaust when you get it!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

By the way, if your interested in hearing the different exhaust sounds heres the link it has 3 pages worth of threads lol...Good luck with your pick.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1183819/tm.htm
Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 AM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

Save your money, duals will only cost more, but not increase performance any on a V6.

Here's some good choices http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Exhaust.htm

GO with the axle back setup, single exhaust. Then get a CAI and Tuner to set up your ride for 30 - 40 hp more than stock. With a good 89 or 91 octane tune and a high flow intake and exhaust you will be shocked how much more power your little V6 pony will have.

You bought a V6 pony, why make it look like a dual GT ? Plus there are some problems with the dual conversions, something about heat damage and scorching the wireing to the fuel pump on the drivers side above the axle. On the gt, I beleive ford covered this with a heat sheild, but not on the v6. Been some postings here about some damage from heat to this wireing harness.

If you go axle back high flow exhaust, magnaflow, borla, or flowmaster then later want the "dual look" you won't be out any extra to convert, just have to get another muffler and the x pipe to crossover to other side.

Have fun