Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

American Thunder Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default American Thunder Question

Ok so i went to the Mustangs by the bay car show today in san diego. And wow a lot of cars that i really liked. But i stopped by this one black 4.0 that was super awesome. It turns out that a older lady was the drive of this beast. It has a nice 3D carbon body kit, cali dream hood, and a lot of goodies under the hood. The one thing tho that really turned me on was her exhaust. I believe she had dual american thunders on. And after i got my dual GT take offs i wasnt going to mess with my exhaust anymore. That was until she started the car! Holy crap those things are loud and just what i was looking for!! Ok here is the problem though, I have grown found of my GT take offs not droning. From what i have read on teh forum a couple people have had a a lot of problems with droning with the american thunders. Now is this a huge problem with a lot of people? what can i do besides putting on resonators? and can you hear the drone outside or is it only when your side the car? If anyone had clips of this it would be great.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: American Thunder Question

I have a single American Thunder. I don't think the drone is that big of a deal. But, I suppose that all has to do with taste...some people like it, some people don't. The higher my rpms when cruising, the louder the drone, but honestly, nothing the radio can't drown out...and it's not so loud with the windows up. I don't know if the dual set up makes a big difference or not, but it's not so bad, IMO.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

but i thought since its a "chamber" muffler that it doesnt have drone. and if it does have drone couldnt i just thrown some glasspacks on and it will go away? Will it still be as loud? i searched the forums for this and rygen said there was a clip on another website but when i push it it doesnt go to the thread. so little help rygen?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Any muffler that flows well is going to have drone, but it will perform better. Just the way it is. My car does not drone bad, and the setup I have now is nothing compared to the drone I got with my magnapacks w/xpipe. I think you will like them a lot dude.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I have the american thunder duels with a gt h-pipe and the sound is amazing. There is a little drone at 2000 rpms, but the radio on one of the lowest settings tunes it out. I love my exhaust, and you will be satisfied if you buy them!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Well i know i am going to go get AT (Girlfriend wants them more then i do!!) i just want to make sure i know what i am getting myself into. lol
Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

I have a single AT and there's no drone at all. Made me very happy considering that's what I was afraid of getting since I once had an 01 GT with flows and they droned like crazy. Sure it makes noise going thru 1st-3rd gear, but that's just because it's doing its thing. While cruising, it's just as mellow as stock.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 PM
TripleExpresso
I ♥ Acer

Hi Horrific. I went to that show too. Great cars there man! Thread drift....any ideas on getting my grubby hands on a single GT take off exhaust locally?