Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

The Mustang I just bought has a c&L intake does it need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

So will basically any off the shelf tune work? I know that custom ones from bamachips, brenspeed etc will produce more performance but I really want to maintain my reliability. I don't need huge performance gains but the more the merrier. Also as money is a little tight right now couldn't I just buy an off the shelf tuner then have a tune custom made after I get more money. Thanks everybody, you've been a great help
Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by THEBLACKSTANG
So will basically any off the shelf tune work? I know that custom ones from bamachips, brenspeed etc will produce more performance but I really want to maintain my reliability. I don't need huge performance gains but the more the merrier. Also as money is a little tight right now couldn't I just buy an off the shelf tuner then have a tune custom made after I get more money. Thanks everybody, you've been a great help
You should give Seth a call at Breenspeed, discuss the options, but honestly you will be money ahead doing it right the first time. The canned tunes are not that great and the cost is about the same.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I've got a couple questions for you guys too. So, some of the lower quality CAI don't require a tune. Now in you "perfessional" opinion, is a C & L about the best bang for the buck? As far as the tunes go, I have an 06 V6 w/ duel borla X pipe kit, I use my car for a nice weather dd. Would I want a performance, torque, or race tune?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Brian124

Cool

Originally Posted by THEBLACKSTANG
First of all I'm new to the forum and have found some great information so far. I purchased an 06 mustang v6 yesterday and am picking it up today. Something I noticed when I looked under the hood at the dealership is that it already has a c&L intake. It also has a ford racing exhaust (single rear exit). My question is whether or not this air intake requires a tune and if there's anyway to tell if one has already been loaded into the engine computer. I have done a small amount of research about this intake and it seems to be pretty good, but any additional information that anyone knows and is willing to share would be great. Thanks, David
Yes it does requires a tune.Drive it and check the engine light.