Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I would flush & fill your brake fluid with DOT 4 for some peace of mind and whatever you do dont set the parking brake after running or you'll risk melting the pads to the rotors unless of course its an automatic then just put it in park...listen to the instructors and have fun...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

My leak turned out to be the Banjo brake line connector...just a slight tightening up fixed it. My time at the track made me realize my brakes need to be upgraded. I ordered parts to upgrade to GT front brakes, new rebuilt calipers and new rotors, and EBC Red Stuff brake pads. Also installing stainless steel brake lines and Dot 4 fluid. Not Brembo or Wildwood crazy, but I figure a few times a year at the track, this set up should work. Any pitfalls with this setup?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
I would flush & fill your brake fluid with DOT 4 for some peace of mind and whatever you do dont set the parking brake after running or you'll risk melting the pads to the rotors unless of course its an automatic then just put it in park...listen to the instructors and have fun...
They told us at the track not to set the parking brakes. That's some serious heat! Raised the hood also to dissipate heat....I was afraid my stripes would peel off!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

I warped my stocker v6 brakes on the back roads of Central FL, then I did the same swap that you mentioned (except with Hawk pads) and ended up warping the GT rotors lol so currently my car feels like **** to drive...So now Im considering going to the 14" brembo upgrade for our cars, fronts run $600, rears ~$550 or swaping 2013 GT brakes you can find on eBay from Roush for $150 which include new 13.2" rotors, calipers, pads, and brackets
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Whats funny is that my stock V6 rotors have held up and did not warp at Sebring. Were your GT rotors brand new or turned? I don't turn rotors any more because it weakens them and leads to warping. Hearing bad things about cross drilled rotors too!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
I warped my stocker v6 brakes on the back roads of Central FL,
Thats because you wouldnt stop riding the brakes!!!

Why you not come back out with us anymore?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

hahahaha! I was pacing myself! and I've been busy with college so much to the point i think im no longer a member on SF.... Ill come around again.

but my GT were new, I will never turn a rotor! no one does them correctly.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
I warped my stocker v6 brakes on the back roads of Central FL, then I did the same swap that you mentioned (except with Hawk pads) and ended up warping the GT rotors lol so currently my car feels like **** to drive...So now Im considering going to the 14" brembo upgrade for our cars, fronts run $600, rears ~$550 or swaping 2013 GT brakes you can find on eBay from Roush for $150 which include new 13.2" rotors, calipers, pads, and brackets
Stock rotors will warp and even more so with quality pads.
Guys, don't waste money on rear brakes either. The stock rear calipers survived a whole season on our FR500C when we did the GT4 European cup races back in 08,09.
So I dare you to wear them out on your occasional road course spins.
There isn't a whole lot of breaking power needed out back anyway...
Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Stock rotors will warp and even more so with quality pads.
Guys, don't waste money on rear brakes either. The stock rear calipers survived a whole season on our FR500C when we did the GT4 European cup races back in 08,09.
So I dare you to wear them out on your occasional road course spins.
There isn't a whole lot of breaking power needed out back anyway...
I agree! but its for looks hahahaha $$$ to burn!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I thought the s197 v6 and GT cars ran the same rear calipers. I know the new edge v6 and GT shared the same front and rear calipers/rotors.

Quick Reply: Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?