Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Marvos

Default Coolant leak

So my fiance has a coolant leak in her mustang its gradually gotten worse over the past few weeks. Due to this I think ive pin pointed the location only issue is I dont know what its called so im gonna add some pictures any help is appreciated. Its on the lower part of the car behing the radiator.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Looks like the timing cover and water pump gaskets are leaking.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Marvos

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome!

Looks like the timing cover and water pump gaskets are leaking.
Thank You!

Any idea how much that would cost to replace? Im guessing the gaskets could be replaced since the pump is technically still working as far as I know.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
JimC

More likely it is the thermostat housing, leaking down the front of the engine. Anytime a 4.0 has a leak the thermostat housing is the first place to check. It usually splits on the back side, and is often mistaken for a bad water pump. Before doing anything inspect the thermostat housing carefully.

There are several threads about it, maybe even a sticky on how to replace it. The thermostat housing is a simple job, about a half hour.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

And there is a metal thermostat housing on the market to replace the plastic one..more expensive but worth the piece of mind IMO.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Look below your intake...it should be wet there, dead give away.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Mine started leaking where the upper and lower thermostat housing come together. Over time the plastic thermostat housing warps. I replaced it out, which fixed the coolant leak at that time. Well, 6 months later, I saw coolant laying on my garage floor once again. It turns out I have head gasket leak and the coolant leaks into the "V" of the engine and slowly drips onto the ground. It's an external leak and does not cause any damage. The smell is awful at times. :/
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM
JimC

Double check the thermostat housing. They can split as quickly as you indicated. And it is easily mistaken for a leak elsewhere. Coolant in the valley also happens when the housing splits
Old 02-10-2017, 12:48 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

And spend the extra bucks on the aluminum one so you'll never have to worry about the housing again.