4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

t45 fluid check and leak stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:56 PM
nhedrick

Default t45 fluid check and leak stop

Anybody know how to check the fuid on a t45 manual tranny? I have a slight leak that is for sure tranny fluid, not engine oil. It leaks about silver dollar size spot on the ground over a few days of sitting. So I'm wondering
1. where and how do I check the fluid level....
2. any good recommendations for leak stops that will work.
Thanks guys.
Nate
Old 06-17-2006, 05:36 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: t45 fluid check and leak stop

first... dont' use stop leak in the manual tranny... the passages in there are too small and the stop leak may slow down the flow...

jack the car up, and on the passenger side there are 2 plugs... one on the bottom (drain) and one towards the middle/top of tranny (fill) both accept a 3/8" socket tip. Remove the filler plug and put your finger in the hole, if you take your finger out and you got trans fluid on the tip of your finger, it's full, if not, add some. I bought a hand pump/siphon for $20 from carquest that you put one end of the hose in a bottle of fluid and the other end in the hole, and just pump it in there until it drips out the fill hole.

while you are under there look around for possible leak spots and let me know where it's leaking. There are a handful of places it can leak... two housing connections, front seal, rear seal, and the shifter...

let me know if i helped at all

use dexron III trans fluid

George
Old 06-17-2006, 09:42 PM
nhedrick

Default RE: t45 fluid check and leak stop

OK,
Checked out the transmission. It was full. It actually started running out. spilled a quite a bit on the floor. probably 1/2 quart or so. I put the plug back in. The leak is coming from the bell housing area. I notice if I park the car on an incline, nose in the air, rear end down, it doesn't seam to leak. So thats where I'm at. It is for certain tranny fluid, I checked the fluid side by side with a sample from the plug I pulled and a bit of the engine oil. So thats where I'm at, it's leaking a little out of the bell housing. probably a silver dollar size spot on the ground. Any suggestions, or guess as to how much that could cost to replace having a shop do it...
Thanks fellas,
Nate