4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heads and cams for the 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

Default Heads and cams for the 4.6

Hey, guys. a guy whos car on has a 99. he wants to do some serious work to it. hes got allot of bolt ons and a good rear i put together for him. he was to do heads and cams. he has been looking into the patriot performance heads. i really dont know allot about aftermarket 4.6 motor stuff, ive torn a few of them appart before at work but thats it. anyone here using these heads or know much about them. he wants the car to be fast so ive been trying to get him to buy a dss long block so he can spray it too. he has been thinking about that but he also wants to have some money left over for a custom paint job, he is stuck between the two. so just so i can give hime some advise, what do you guys think? if i got him a stroker kit heads and cams, do these blocks hold up good. i know the stock bottom end isnt much.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and cams for the 4.6

turn him on to a non-intercooled vortech. heads and cams are nice, but you will have 2K in parts plus labor, put a little more and have a blower, and the car will be waay faster. Pats are ok, they are cheaper than vts and such for a reason.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:27 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

he doesnt want a blower. labor is not a problem as ill be doing to work for him. plus a guy i know whos got a procharger figures his bottom end is almost done from the blower, he says he running too much boost.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

ive heard nothing but good from the patriots heads not to sure about a stroker kit.... it would be nice if you put some forgde 8:1 pistons heads and a blower... i plan on getting the same heads when the money is right need to pay car off first if you put them on tell me what you think
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I would suggest vt cams, I'm getting they're stage 1's soon enough. And has your guy thought about just porting and polishing the stock heads?? If he wants some new ones, get some high compression heads and a healthy dose of giggle gas.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

Well i think i have him going with a whole new motor. i think im gonna call DSS for him and talk to them to see what all they have and what options are as far as cams and compression ratios. i know the car we raced on pinks had a dss in it but thats the only car i know of that had one. anyone here running with a dss or know someone who is.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
LilGuysWearBowTies
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

turn him on to a non-intercooled vortech. heads and cams are nice, but you will have 2K in parts plus labor, put a little more and have a blower, and the car will be waay faster. Pats are ok, they are cheaper than vts and such for a reason.
Why the hell would you not want an intercooler? Don't tell me it looses boost, put a smaller friggin pulley on it.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:59 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LilGuysWearBowTies

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

Why the hell would you not want an intercooler? Don't tell me it looses boost, put a smaller friggin pulley on it.
it seems like he was on a budget, so i was suggesting something that was along the lines with what he was going to spend on heads and cams, and still have alot more power, but i guess that was lost on you. Dont answer questions that you ask other people cause you think what they are going to say, retard. i am definitely going to put an i/c on my vortech at some point. and for the guy to say he is staying away from a blower cause someone else didnt know what they were doing isnt a good reason to stay away from one. but, spend te money on heads and cams and long block and still have less power than you would with a blower. I will be interested to hear what he chooses, sounds like a heavy build project. code3 has a ton into his motor and still has "only" 340. it's a-holes like you bowtie that make people not want to throw out suggestions on this board.