4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Mac catback on...my review (pix/vid included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Default Mac catback on...my review (pix/vid included)

So i got my mac catback in the mail and i got to put it on. First, the box they sent it in was ripped at the top and had a few holes in it. I open the box and the pipes are just layed in there with only a clear plastic bag to protect them. The tips were at least wrapped in bubble wrap. The system wasnt damage but the flow pipes and mufflers were a little scrathed. (You can see this in the pix) I was able to perform this install at my work with a lift, all the tools i needed and compressed air. I had to cut the stock system to get it off. Other then that getting it off was a piece of cake. Putting the new one on was not however. First problem, some of the threads in one of the flow pipes was messed up. Didnt have the right size in my tap and dye kit so ended up kinda forcing it with some vise grips and it went in and held ok. Next, aligning the muffler to the flow pipe from the mid pipe was a challenge to overcome but we did with some tweaking. Aligning the tips wasnt too hard. There wasnt much clearence under the car but it looked like it'll be enough. As for the sound...i might be bias but my car is one of the baddest sounding cars around. The tone is DEEP and very throaty. When you open it up it doesnt get raspy at all, just loud and MEAN. A nice burble goes with decelerating in gear. What else is cool is the system isnt too loud, its just right. However when you go in a tunnel or parking garage its ear piercing loud if you go wot. Overall im very happy for 330 shipped! A very good looking catback with durablack high-temperature coated flow pipes and mufflers leading to polished stainless steel with rolled tips.

Mach idle
Old 06-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mac catback on...my review (pix/vid included)

very nice set up indeed =)
Old 06-25-2006, 07:09 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

do you have a x/h pipe? and if so is it catted or off road?

i want to get these mufflers because i have heard it on a GT before and it sounded terrific
Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I have a whole mac setup on my gt and absolutely love it! Mac's customer service sucks though. When I ordered my catback about a year ago, it took them 2 weeks to get it to me and the flow tubes were missing, so I had to wait another 2 or 3 weeks to get those.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Typical Mac stuff. Their customer service and their product quality absolutely blows chunks, get whatcha pay for.

I've dealt with the horror of Mac products and it was a pure joke. Their stuff sounds really good though, it's worth the elbow grease for sure!

By any chance would you know the dimensions on those mufflers? I'm tossing around the idea of switching to Flowmaster Super 40's or Mac's and I'm unaware of what the height of the mufflers are.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Macs do sound the best! Notice any power increase?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

it sounds great, and looks good too man
Old 06-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

do you have a x/h pipe? and if so is it catted or off road?
Its an slp catted xpipe.

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Typical Mac stuff. Their customer service and their product quality absolutely blows chunks, get whatcha pay for.

I've dealt with the horror of Mac products and it was a pure joke. Their stuff sounds really good though, it's worth the elbow grease for sure!

By any chance would you know the dimensions on those mufflers? I'm tossing around the idea of switching to Flowmaster Super 40's or Mac's and I'm unaware of what the height of the mufflers are.
The quality actually look VERY good when i first saw it. Then i installed it...bad fitment, bad threads...they look about 3 inches high.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:43 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

+1