4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbie!! First Mustang and need your expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie!! First Mustang and need your expert advice

Just purchased a 2000 gt, (LOVE IT!) and I am looking to add some power. I don't want to spend too much money so where should I start? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Superchip? Where can I get good deals from and does anyone know if the cold air intake system on mustangtuning.com is any good (link below) ? Any advice is appreciated...thanks!http://www.mustangtuning.com/mugtv8pocoai.html
Old 07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Newbie!! First Mustang and need your expert advice

Well it all depends on what you wanna spend and if you want to do the work yourself or have a mechanic do it for you.

I would suggest the Densecharger cold air intake ( www.densecharger.com ) Thats a really good mod and you can put it on yourself in an hour with the help of a friend. The Meter forward system will cost you about $280.00. That comes with the ProM 85mm MAM, K&N filter, and all the components you need to get it run to your T/B. (If you have a tower strut brace then you have to use the stock inlet pipe)

The CAI will give you anywhere from 10 to 15Hp.

The next upgrade should be exhaust. Go with a good set of Longtube headers, a good shorty off road X pipe, and a straight through catback such as Magnaflows or Dynomax. The LT headers (depending on brand) will run you anywhere from $150 to $500. The X pipe, also depending on brand, will cost $150 to $400 for the offroad. The Catted versions are a little more expensive because they come with cats of course. The Catback will run you about $400.

The exhaust is one of the best upgrades you will get. For all that you are looking at about 30Hp.

Chips are a waste of time if you are just getting it for the power. You can get the ones that program your speedo, adjust air/fuel ratio, and a lot of other things. In some cases the chip will take away from your power instead of add. It would be a better investment if you waited to get all your mods done and take it to get dyno tuned. They will then burn you a custom chip particularly for your application.

I have never bought anything from Mustangtuning, but im sure that if its a sponser of the forums you probably wont get ripped off.

Welcome to the club and have a good time.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

Gears, gears, gears, What's wrong with the pro-chamber? (best for naturally aspirated) wow dejavu
Old 07-22-2004, 03:01 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Gears are always a good upgrade also but I think he was asking for beginner upgrades. I was always under the impression that the prochamber was an X, just with a slightly bigger chamber than the X has. [&:]
Old 07-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

Daniel you are good at answering peoples questions. I just think he should get gears if he wants to go faster. I don't know if it is an x or h. (good question) When are we gonna drink some jack? lol
Old 07-22-2004, 03:25 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks a lot! I am definitely getting the CAI from densecharger. The exhaust is where I'm getting confused, because I don't know much about exhaust, am I going to have problems with emmisions if I get the off road Xpipe? Do you have any links to sites that have these systems or know if the steeda stainless steel cat-back exhaust kit is a good investment (link below)?

http://www.mustangtuning.com/stgtststcaex.html
Old 07-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

Everyone from this site is into magnaflows. I personally would save the money and buy the cheapest catback, so you can put the rest of the money towards something else. Like gears I gained 4 tenths in the quarter with my 3:73's (gears)
Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

www.speedconcepts.net has the magnapack cat-back for 439.00, this is not their advertised price, you have to call/e-mail for it. And you can get the x-pipe for 405.00 w/cats, w/out it would be cheaper. But that is a pretty good setup. So im told.
Thats the cheapest i've found on the cat-back, someone let me in on the info if you know where its cheaper.