4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

back fire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

Default back fire?

hey guys i am back.. a couple weeks ago i wrote a post about my fuel problem... well i took your advice and replaced the filter first... after that we tried to start my car and as soon as i turned the key BOOM lol it was scary i got so angry i though something was really wrong it started smoking really bad it smelled like exhaust... my buddy said it sounded like back fire so we looked it over and i couldnt find where the smoke was coming from... it was in the back of the engine somewhere i looked at that piece of crap plastic intake first but couldnt find any cracks or anything.. and then i remembered something... when i was trying to figure out what was wrong to begin with we sprayed carb cleaner in my throttle body to see if it would fire up to make sure it wasnt a ignition problem... well i think that maybe some of the left over fluid is what caused the back fire even though that stuff evaporates very quick i dont understand... well to make a long story short i am waiting for my fuel pump right now so i can replace that but i am still kinda worried about that back fired... does anyone know what it could have been? is my explanation correct with the carb cleaner causing it? thanks for any help in advance

John
Old 11-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: back fire?

bump
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

all i can say is if your explanation is correct, lets hope ure little make-shift grenade didnt really screw something up in there...you probably wont beable to do anything til you get the new one in and find out if u messed a valve or something up...knock on wood
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

yeah i am just wondering what if anything it could have been cause my stupid apartments wont let me work on my car or they call the cops its total BS... so i have to have my car towed to a friends house.. so i really dont wanna have it towed t here and then fix the pump and something else be wrong with it and have to tow it back to my place that gets pricey... ok well when we put the new pump in i will update
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Airman21

yeah i am just wondering what if anything it could have been cause my stupid apartments wont let me work on my car or they call the cops its total BS... so i have to have my car towed to a friends house.. so i really dont wanna have it towed t here and then fix the pump and something else be wrong with it and have to tow it back to my place that gets pricey... ok well when we put the new pump in i will update
First of all, as long as you are in the driveway of your apartment. (if your apartment has a garage) they cannot call the cops on you and even if they did, what would the cop do? your not doing anything illegal, your a member of the apartments and in no way can people keep you from working on your car unless you have parts spread out everywhere and its blocking traffic or something
Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Well if it was as dramatic as you made it sound, KABOOOOM BAM WAMABAM JAM. then I'd have some worries. With any modern fuel injected vehicle, don't dump/spray carb cleaner/fuel or anything in the throttle body while its connected to the engine, unless its really controlled. I can't imagine a reason why to. I would of disconnected the fuel rails and seen if there was excess fuel still residing in them after a few cranks, if not then that would conclude you have thirsty injectors.

Anyways, g/l. Hope all goes well and you get her up and running soon. We all hate having our stangs out of comission.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tcuallstar

ORIGINAL: Airman21

First of all, as long as you are in the driveway of your apartment. (if your apartment has a garage) they cannot call the cops on you and even if they did, what would the cop do? your not doing anything illegal, your a member of the apartments and in no way can people keep you from working on your car unless you have parts spread out everywhere and its blocking traffic or something

well i dont know the laws but my apartments wont let me do ANY work on my car not even change my air filter lol... it even says it in my lease... maybe its just a jersey thing jersey is the worst state i have ever been too