4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about cobra brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about cobra brakes

Larger rotors in back are what I'm looking for and I don't want drilled and slotted from what I've read about them. What bfg set is this? I googled and didn't find anything, maybe I'm just dumb, but if you could link me to some bigger blanks with the correct hardware that would be great.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

the links I gave you in my first post, that is all you'd need, the mach1 front brake kit comes with new pads, rotors, calipers, and lines. the calipers are painted satin black and the rear brake kit just comes with the same size rotors cobra's come with, moan braces, mounting brackets and bolts for them.

All you need to do is install, if I remembered correctly the front took me about 1hr to install it. Dunno about the rear, I'm putting that off till I get my 31 spline, tr2 diff, girdle, and gears.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

I forgot that was you who was linked those...anyways thank you I will probably order those tomorrow morning.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

heh np man, and good luck man. We're all here to learn so feel free to ask anything.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I went with stock sized crossdrilled/slotted rotors and a good set of ceramic pads and couldn't be happier! I think the whole oversized rotor thing is more or less for looks! Yes I'm sure you get a little bit out of it but if I'm on the highway doing 100mph,I can slam on my brakes and you'll def. go through the windshield if you don't have a seatbelt on!!!!! Save some money and just do that much. If you do lots of Autocross racing then I would say word to the wise but other than that I'll never spend crazy money on the rotor upgrade, there's so many other mods that are worth the money like LT's and Catback, nitrous...
larger rotors for the rear is not entirely all for looks, if he is into autox'ing like I am the larger rotor is helpful. the thing that is all for looks is cross and slotted rotors.. they do very little for most vehicles that are used as dd's... larger surface area = more stopping power. now couple that with some decent pads and your set.

The bfg set only comes with the dust shield and mounting brackets, if you wanna make em look pretty then go get yourself some caliper paint for $15 for the good stuff $5 for cheaper ones. Just tryna save you some money man.

Where do you get your info from??? I am on the brakes constantly and have absolutley no Brake Fade whatsoever! They mada a huge diff especially when you get on the brakes! I went side by side with a newer mustang with 13's all around and he didn't stop faster than me much at all, maybe one car length which is hardly noticeable at 80mph which is when we did it, but then again he did have darg radials on??? There was massive diff when I upgraded to crossdrilled rotors with a nice set of pads! (I had nice pads before). How often are you slamming on your brakes where you need to stop a car length faster as you say especially with DD's. Which my car isn't by the way. I put 1500 miles on it last summer!

For the rear upgrade your gonna have to take your diff cover off which means draining your fluid and sliding your axles out. It's a pain in the butt. I just had mine all out for gears and didn't even wanna spend the money for brake upgrade!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Ordered! I'll take pics when the install is done and thanks again you guys saved me some money and time =)
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I'm saying its a waste for a dd to have crossdrilled and slotted rotors, your getting a bit too excited... Look, I said especially on a dd because of the extra wear on the pads for minimal difference on the street. On a street car(DD) they are just for show, your much better off with a rotor with more surface area, also the durability of a cross and slotted rotor is also called into question here. The crossdrilled/slotted rotor will cause the rotors to be cooler, YES, but the calipers, and brake fluid will run alot warmer/hotter than normal. The pads may be cooler but the slicing from the holes/slots reduce them to nothing much sooner, and for those that use this as a dd it's much different than a garage queen that see's 1500 miles a yr.. The main difference in a cross/slotted app as apposed to a blank rotor is this, the blank rotor at certain temps will cause the pad to glaze over, the thing is during regular street driving, this will NOT happen, unless your a taxi driver or someone that is looking to sideswipe a ped, the cross/slotted rotors are seen as good on track cars because they are constantly de glazing the pad. However this is just one aspect of it, as that would be with ceramic pads. The whole dynamics of braking in general and whether or not cross/slotted rotors are beneficial are still up for debate. Look around and you will find some credible forums with facts and not some puke being regurgitated. Corner-carvers.com is a great site with alot of knowledge base, there are people there that work at mm, griggs and other racing perf companies.