4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 gt anti-theft / upgrading theft

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 PM
miglet
2nd Gear Member

Default 96 gt anti-theft / upgrading theft

does anyone have the built in anti-theft /w microchip in the key and stuff?

i want to get an alarm/autostart (dont know which, the one i want is alittle to expensive for me - clifford avantguard 5). so couple questions, a) will any alarm that is capable of manual startup work? or do I have to get some weird device from ford to allow me to hookup an aftermarket alarm / completely take out the anti-theft and replace my ignition.

then the 2nd question is: what's a good alarm thats between $100-$250. so far ive used 2 black widows, and they sucked ***. went off when they shouldn't have too often. Unless blackwidow makes high end versions.. bleh

it'd be nice if it was one of those 2 way pager versions. lot's of cool features
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: 96 gt anti-theft / upgrading theft

careful getting an alarm. when you get it installed, make sure you know the people. even places like circuit city & best buy aren't good. when setting those up, they get your address and your information and when they install them, they can leave a bare wire somewhere where they can just cut it and BAM! they get into your car and take your stuff.

i was going to get one done myself, but my buddy made an excellent point. if someone wants to steal your car, they're gonna steal it whether you have an alarm or not. it'll just be a bit noisy for them while they do it.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:55 PM
miglet
2nd Gear Member

aye, but it's for the people who are just going around. and it will give me a warning if im around - which is what i want

i'd be doing it myself of course, i installed my last 2 alarms and a few stereo's so I know my way with wires.

but im just wondering about the anti-theft already in it and stuff.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

Ok i put a aftermarket alarm on my cobra. I went for the alarm under clifford. I went for avital. Very nice alarm. Got all the goodies dual censors and all that ****. What ever you do don't put on the valet mode. That thing is a piece of crap. The guys at best buy did it for me. They will put in a little chip that will bypass the factory alarm so that your aftermarket one will work. NOW i did have a little problem on mine, it wasn't best buys fault but the company who made the alarm. What was happening was the battery was sending to much juice through the car which was causing it to short and go off every 10 minutes. But the next day best buy called me back in and fixed the problem. So you should be ok. The automatic start thing is alright(i had it on my explorer). I would not reccommend it though since it costs you more. Another good thing about my alarm with all the fancy BS it also runs off a separate battery that is hidden in the engine bay. So know one can cut the wire to the alarm unless they know where that battery is. I have looked plenty of times and i can't even find it. Another good thing was the engine cut off. When the alarm is going off no one can start your car. It automatically cuts off the starter so they can't get anywhere. I know it works too because i have tired it on my car just to see if it was true. It was the avital 2200, they have acutally come out with better ones. good luck

99 cobra
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM
miglet
2nd Gear Member

I'll probably go down to calgary (400km) away and buy some of my stuff and get it installed there, and just give a fake address... whenever i get.. questionable things, I never get it from around here.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:40 AM
2kstang
I ♥ Acer

Im lookn 2 sell a brand new clifford matrix full screen LCD display cgalluze@gmail.com if intrested! asking 250