4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how to tap the oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
carlos

Default how to tap the oil pan?

Ok i have an idea on how to do it. My biggest concern is starting the hole. I kind of want to use the drill to start the hole and then use the punch. what do you guys think? any sugestions on how to start the hole and what to use?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how to tap the oil pan?

start w. a small punch and keep working your way up... its quite simple
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
carlos

my concern is that the pan metal is too hard and i wont be able to start the hole. Do you have to hit the center punch hard?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

use a small one, like small that comes to a nice point, and yea, hit it like you have a pair

worse comes to worse, if you actually **** it up, you can get it welded up, but you wont **** it up
Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

i started by drilling a small hole, maybe a 1/8" or so. then punched the rest of the way
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

You don't want to drill it at all because you need that extra metal so it can be threaded properly, By drilling you are removing metal and have less surface for the tap to grab on to.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

OK,

1. Use a center punch to make a small indentation to stop the drill drifting off center
2. Start off with a small drill approx 1/8
3. Go up in drill size slowly until you reach the correct size specified to run the tap through.

What size is the thread you want to cut and I can give you the correct drill size ?

And the metal won't be hardened so it will drill just fine.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

It's just an oil pan. How bad can you screw it up? Just use the right size bit for your tap. I wouldn't eve bother with a punch, just drill it.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlg32281

It's just an oil pan. How bad can you screw it up? Just use the right size bit for your tap. I wouldn't eve bother with a punch, just drill it.
Hahaha!
I had to laugh because after installing a Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace on my 2003 GT vert and having to drill 16 holes in some pretty hard metal, I have to agree with you!!

I would use a punch though to keep the drill from walking.

How bad can it be?????

BTW put heavy grease on the bit/tap so particles don't end up everywhere and then flush the pan as best you can, drain the oil etc....

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Once again, we manage to have a bunch of people with no idea about what they are talking about posting opinions and not facts.

You can NOT drill the hole (full size) for the tap. If you drill the hole in the pan the correct size for the tap, your going to be replacing your oil pan. Drilling the hole will result in you getting about a 1/2 thread and nothing more, as the pan is very thin.

I did not use a drill at all, and I would not. Start with a starter punch, and then work your way up to the correct size. I used a starter punch to start the hole, and as it was tapered got it to about 1/2 size, then used a much larger tapered punch to finish the hole.

The easiest way to get the hole the correct size IMO is to use a dial caliper and measure the punch to find the correct spot in the taper where the hole is the right size, and then mark all the way around it with a marker. Tap the punch in (lightly/easily) until it reaches this point, and walla.

Once again, if you use a drill the connection WILL leak and it will NOT last. You will be pouring return oil out of hte connection, if it doesn't fall out alltogether. IMO there is no reason to use a bit at all, if the punch you are using will not put a hole in the pan your using the wrong punch.

Quick Reply: how to tap the oil pan?