4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need more hp PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: need more hp PLEASE HELP

ORIGINAL: mattofiesh

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

Oh and I forgot to mention, you can gain close to 70-80 rwhp doing a pi swap for less than half the price of a 4v swap.
thats seams to be a little optimistic for a pi swap, isn't it?
I gained 81 from a Full PI motor swap, so no, It's not. Stroking isn't really worth it unless you just want the ability to say "stroked". If you go Big bore, you're going to have some serious money involved. I'd say, forge your NPI to PI specs w/ PI heads, intake and Blower cams. Then get a S/C but don't waist your time with a V2, start with a T trim or go Procharger. Boost the **** out of it till you reach the max of your Fuel system. Then work it from the Tunning angle. Did I mention, trans and rear end? Nothing is working backwards in that senario.

If you go PI enigne or head swap you'll quickly grow tired of the power gains and want more. If I had it to do over again I would have went straight to gears, T trim, PI motor (with new Vortech bracket of course). But thats only my 2v senarios. truthfully, I would have started with the 4v.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

I gained 81 from a Full PI motor swap, so no, It's not. Stroking isn't really worth it unless you just want the ability to say "stroked". If you go Big bore, you're going to have some serious money involved. I'd say, forge your NPI to PI specs w/ PI heads, intake and Blower cams. Then get a S/C but don't waist your time with a V2, start with a T trim or go Procharger. Boost the **** out of it till you reach the max of your Fuel system. Then work it from the Tunning angle. Did I mention, trans and rear end? Nothing is working backwards in that senario.

If you go PI enigne or head swap you'll quickly grow tired of the power gains and want more. If I had it to do over again I would have went straight to gears, T trim, PI motor (with new Vortech bracket of course). But thats only my 2v senarios. truthfully, I would have started with the 4v.
Ding Ding Ding...Hit the nail on the head!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

+1 to sxynerd.

A FORGED 4v (03-04 cobra motor) is a better platform to start with, but a stock 99 cobra motor will max out at around the same rwhp as a stock 2v. Also that 435hp N/A 2v (if its possible) wouldn't even come close to resembling something streetable. Your best bet with that kind of money is a PI swap and a blower. You'll need to save a little more and start out with like 5k but it will be well worth it.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

if you want streetable all motor power look into doing a 5.4 build more than likely with 4v heads, either ported 03-04 cobra heads or ported navi heads and a good set of cams. it sounds to me like your pretty indecisive on what you want. a motor build should be centered around your end product. for one a set of n/a cams are completely different from a set of forced induction cams. and depending on your method of forced induction porting of the heads can sometimes not be worth the cost, in some cases its just easier to increase the boost levels. also your compression ratio is gonna be quite different from a good naturally aspirated build compared to an FI build. your best bet is to set an end goal and work towards that.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

i talked to the guy at the performance shop today and it looks like its going to be a 03 mach1 swap the new motor will have @25k on it for roughly the same money. Beyond the miles isn’t the 03 mach1 motor better then the 99 cobra (because of the crank)? and i think i will be adding some LT headers, and a dyno tune while its there. thanks for your input and if you have any more let me know.
thanks