4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant In Spark Plug Well = ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default Coolant In Spark Plug Well = ?

Aight my buddy has had a misfiring problem. finally popped a CEL a while ago and it was a misfire in cyl 8. we finally got around to investigate it today and we were going to swap a cop over from my car onto his, and i checked inside his spark plug well before he stuck my cop in his (thankfully) and there was about 2 inches of coolant in it (the plug was completely under coolant).

we checked his oil, didnt see anything that looked like coolant in his oil...so i dont know if that would be a head gasket problem and i dont see how a head gasket would leak into the spark plug. he thinks his head is possibly cracked near the plug. i looked at his intake manifold and i didnt see any cracks near the cylinder, or any signs of coolant leaking out of it anywhere...but it was dark so i couldnt see very well anyways i'm gonna have to look at it again in the light.

what do you guys think? what is the most likely culprit here?

i was hoping it would just be a bad cop or a plug or something simple. we were working at almost dark so we didnt pull any of the other cops off the other 3 cylinders to see if maybe they had any either i highly doubt they do cuz the car would run much worse than ti does...if at all.

and i know the COP is most likely shot from bieng in that much coolant, and the plug is probably gone as well.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: Coolant In Spark Plug Chamber = ?

this happened to me...its the intake manifold...

mine cracked at the thermostat and leaked back and flooded cyl. 8 and it also flooded cyl. 5.... take a better look at the intake manifold, and if you have time, pull it out real quick and thoroughly inspect it... its only a 2 hour job to remove and re-install the manifold

and yes, my COP was roasted in both cylinders
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

yeah i had just gotten off the phone with my buddy whose already moved (he rebuilt several mustang engines tho). he said hes near certain its a manifold leak, which is my assumption as well since heads don't crack for no reason...and he didnt overheat.

i was already planning on pulling his manifold off this weekend, that was my guess having looked at the manifold. cuz theres an o-ring behind each of the 2 rear uhh...air inputs i guess that go into the head...and i wanna say antifreeze runs through there. if that o-ring went bad...or maybe even at the front by his thermostat then it could be leaking and we just can't see it.

i highly doubt its the head gasket cuz the AF would be in te cylinder...not the spark plug well. he's already pissed thinking its his head thats cracked and i'm still leaning toward something wrong with the manifold (either the manifold is jacked somewhere, or the o-ring that seals it is bad).

will update this weekend after i get it taken off (i had to change mine out right when i bought my car actually). any other suggestions please feel free to throw em out.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

get the heads pressure checked, its possible its the heads, and check out the intake... my guess is cracked head...
Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

couldn't it be a head gasket?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I'd put more money on that intake.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ORIGINAL: dimebag

get the heads pressure checked, its possible its the heads, and check out the intake... my guess is cracked head...
you must not hang around us 4.6'ers too often.... our intakes crack more often than paris hilton gets rammed
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

you must not hang around us 4.6'ers too often.... our intakes crack more often than paris hilton gets rammed

Ha!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

Hahaha... That will be a sig...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ahahahahaha love it!!!!

Quick Reply: Coolant In Spark Plug Well = ?