4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do I keep my 4R70W cool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

A friend of mine that is apart of TCCOA is going to help me with my J-Mod and add a tranny cooler to mine. When we are done, I'll tell you what happens and how he does it.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BOSTANG
What about put in manaul valve body kit in tran. A friend on mine has one with no problem.
there already is one from the Transgo Stage III shift kit. its full manual.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00_buck
there already is one from the Transgo Stage III shift kit. its full manual.

Thats your problem. Those shift kits operate very differently than the J-mod (which is INFINITLY better than the kit you bought). A side effect of the kit you bought is a DRASTIC increase in fluid temp.

When I had my built 4v GT w/ the 4R70W (J-mod and 3200 stall), I used Amsoil Syn Trans Fuild, B&M Hi-Tek Supercool Oversized w/ stainless steel braided lines (+~3.25 quarts), and B&M Cast Aluminum Deep Trans Pan (+3 quarts) and pushing 425hp at the crank and 4.10s out back, my trans temp NEVER broke the 140 degree mark even after auto-crossing it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
Thats your problem. Those shift kits operate very differently than the J-mod (which is INFINITLY better than the kit you bought). A side effect of the kit you bought is a DRASTIC increase in fluid temp.

When I had my built 4v GT w/ the 4R70W (J-mod and 3200 stall), I used Amsoil Syn Trans Fuild, B&M Hi-Tek Supercool Oversized w/ stainless steel braided lines (+~3.25 quarts), and B&M Cast Aluminum Deep Trans Pan (+3 quarts) and pushing 425hp at the crank and 4.10s out back, my trans temp NEVER broke the 140 degree mark even after auto-crossing it.
Thats pretty impressive...so what is so different between the trans-go and the J-mod? My buddy that did my tranny work had a ranger with a B&M ratchet shifter and manual valve body, but i dont know what type/brand.
He had no cooling issues.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

If memory serves me correctly, I don't think J-mod is still being done by VAP auto, anyone know where else to get them or is that it?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

As far as an alternate mounting location goes, I mounted mine flat on the bottom of the car on the passenger side of the exhaust, right next to the bellhousing of the tranny. I mounted it with the front angled up slightly so it would catch as much incoming air as possible without sacrificing any ground clearance. I have a 3200 stall, and that setup has kept the tranny cool, even during extended periods of hard driving.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

The j-mod works by drilling in holes in the separator plate and removing a few spring assists and swapping accumulators out, if required. It allows more fluid to flow through the valve body and trans, thus firming up the shift, cooling the fluid (by allowing more fluid to flow, it allows for better transfer of the heat), removing the slip between "gears", doesn't increase pressure in the trans and valve body, and thus increasing the life of the transmission greatly.

Shift kits work at the cost of increasing global line pressure, amongst other things like taking out or adding spacers, springs, etc to achieve the same results. Increased pressure generally equals lower transmission life and always equal increase temp.

It has been said that doing it the j-mod way is safer for long term reliability vs the shift kits that mess just with the pressure...however many people report no problems using either method (except increased temp with shift kit) to gain a firmer and quicker shift.

And yes, VAP is still doing the j-mod. You can send in your valve body and they'll do the j-mod and send it back to you.
http://www.vapauto.com/jmod.htm
Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EODMustang
As far as an alternate mounting location goes, I mounted mine flat on the bottom of the car on the passenger side of the exhaust, right next to the bellhousing of the tranny. I mounted it with the front angled up slightly so it would catch as much incoming air as possible without sacrificing any ground clearance. I have a 3200 stall, and that setup has kept the tranny cool, even during extended periods of hard driving.
thanks i'll check that out.