4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Noise, Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

what noise are we talking about?

it just sounds like just really really raspy exhaust. your in real low rpms in that last gear arn't you? at 0:27 you are like what? under 2?

thats just how a raspy exhaust sounds at real low rpm's (which could be a leak)

just my .02

unless i am missing the noise completely (this is a small click between shifts, but I think that's the camera?)

what is your exhaust setup?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Avacado

Originally Posted by 0949er
what noise are we talking about?

it just sounds like just really really raspy exhaust. your in real low rpms in that last gear arn't you? at 0:27 you are like what? under 2?

thats just how a raspy exhaust sounds at real low rpm's (which could be a leak)

just my .02

unless i am missing the noise completely (this is a small click between shifts, but I think that's the camera?)

what is your exhaust setup?

Stock everything as far as I know. I knwo there is an aftermarket intake, but That sounds fine. I brought it to the dealership today and had the lead mechanic come on a ride with me. He thinks it's a cracked intack manifold, however he won't know for sure till they take her apart.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Let us know. I wana know what it is.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Avacado

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Sounds like an exhaust leak and your car is missing BAD or ... a spun bearing :\. Anyone else have input?
Can you elaborate on "Missing BAD"? A spun bearing sounds similar when I have searched you tube. If it is a spun bearing, what would be the damage? All I know is i'm not taking her off the dealers lot untill she sounds like sex. Lastly If they fix this issue under my 30 day 1k mile warranty, but the fix they made fails, will I have to pay for it to have to be redone?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
colklink

Hey, I'm from Hagerstown too!

Anyway....

Its tough to pinpoint sounds, especially from a youtube video.

I'm not so sure that sounds like exhaust. Maybe if it were VERY close to the head, like a cracked manifold, or a loose plug.

I'd take it to a shop, or to a buddy who has a good ear for that sort of thing. Let us know what it is when you find out!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avacado
Can you elaborate on "Missing BAD"? A spun bearing sounds similar when I have searched you tube. If it is a spun bearing, what would be the damage? All I know is i'm not taking her off the dealers lot untill she sounds like sex. Lastly If they fix this issue under my 30 day 1k mile warranty, but the fix they made fails, will I have to pay for it to have to be redone?
Basically its not firing on all cylinders due to something... could be sparkplugs, wires etc etc, I'm not definate but im pretty sure if their repair under warranty fails they have to fix it for free, if they refuse thats when you talk to a lawyer.

Originally Posted by colklink
Hey, I'm from Hagerstown too!

Anyway....

Its tough to pinpoint sounds, especially from a youtube video.

I'm not so sure that sounds like exhaust. Maybe if it were VERY close to the head, like a cracked manifold, or a loose plug.

I'd take it to a shop, or to a buddy who has a good ear for that sort of thing. Let us know what it is when you find out!
you ever out on RT 40 or at Mason Dixon? What colors your car i'm sure i've seen you around.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM
MurfGT00

it's not a spun bearing, it would be a lot more consistent. sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Avacado

SVTeeshirt and Colklink, we need to get together sometime and burn up RT40 ;p. Would love to cruise with some other Stangs. I'll let you know when I get her back.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avacado
SVTeeshirt and Colklink, we need to get together sometime and burn up RT40 ;p. Would love to cruise with some other Stangs. I'll let you know when I get her back.
Def, i gotta get mine done, just got a 2nd job so that should speed that up.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 PM
colklink

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Basically its not firing on all cylinders due to something... could be sparkplugs, wires etc etc, I'm not definate but im pretty sure if their repair under warranty fails they have to fix it for free, if they refuse thats when you talk to a lawyer.

you ever out on RT 40 or at Mason Dixon? What colors your car i'm sure i've seen you around.
I just bought the car actually. Black 03 GT. Pretty much stock for now. I've actually been a GM guy until just recently. Something just didn't sit right with me when the big shots were in washington holding their hats out for a donation. Oh how I miss LS1's though

Anyway, I have a weird sound I'm working out with mine too, doesnt sound like yours though, I think mine is exhaust where the H meets the Manifold (at least thats what I'm hoping!) I'll have to take it and put it on my buddy's lift.

Yeah, add me to your AIM if you have it guys, jreynolds426 It's always nice to know local guys who have the same car as yourself.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise, Need Advice!