4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

starting problem-'06 4.6L in 49 ford

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
wmrdalydvm

Default starting problem-'06 4.6L in 49 ford

I’m hoping one of you smarter folks can help me with this problem
The background: I have a 2006 Mustang GT 4.6L engine that I have installed into a 49 Ford Convertible. I have completed the wiring (I think) but I can’t get her to start.
I have a non-mustang fuel pump but it is connected to the Fuel pump driver module and when I put the key in run I can measure 50-60 PSI going into the fuel rail so I think this is good.
I have checked that I am getting power to the coils (only checked one) and I do get a spark in the plug that I checked. I tried removing one side of the fuel rails and injectors, and after hooking back up the FRPT sensor and the injector wires, I don’t get any spray from any of the injectors. This is probably not a good test of the injectors but it was the best I could come up with. Of interest though is that I did spray some gas into the cylinders when the injectors were removed, and when I tried to start it later did get the engine to turn over a few times. In summary—I have good cranking, power to the coils with confirmed spark, good fuel pressure, but I have no way to actually check that the injectors are functioning OK
Also, I did re-program the computer to ignore the PATS system. On the first reprogram the starter would not turn so I had my guy recheck the PATS setting and there was a second item that needed to be turned off. When the new program was downloaded the starter functions normally. He tells me that if the starter is turning the PATS system is turned off but I’m still not sure since it seems to me that if I am getting power to the injectors (I do) in start and run, it must be the computer that is not allowing the injectors to function. Only other thing I can think of is that since this engine has sat for 3 years, ALL of the injectors are gummed up—which I think is unlikely. Can anyone help me with just where I go from here?
Can anyone tell me how much voltage I should be able to measure at the fuel injector plugs?
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Someone in here might be able to help you however thats a 3v which is found in this..https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...discussion-49/
section, might have better luck there if no one chimes in here but they just might so keep an eye out in both sections.

Its easy to overlook where it says 2 +4 valve in this section and 05-10 in the other so don't worry about it .
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wmrdalydvm
I’m hoping one of you smarter folks can help me with this problem
The background: I have a 2006 Mustang GT 4.6L engine that I have installed into a 49 Ford Convertible. I have completed the wiring (I think) but I can’t get her to start.
I have a non-mustang fuel pump but it is connected to the Fuel pump driver module and when I put the key in run I can measure 50-60 PSI going into the fuel rail so I think this is good.
I have checked that I am getting power to the coils (only checked one) and I do get a spark in the plug that I checked. I tried removing one side of the fuel rails and injectors, and after hooking back up the FRPT sensor and the injector wires, I don’t get any spray from any of the injectors. This is probably not a good test of the injectors but it was the best I could come up with. Of interest though is that I did spray some gas into the cylinders when the injectors were removed, and when I tried to start it later did get the engine to turn over a few times. In summary—I have good cranking, power to the coils with confirmed spark, good fuel pressure, but I have no way to actually check that the injectors are functioning OK
Also, I did re-program the computer to ignore the PATS system. On the first reprogram the starter would not turn so I had my guy recheck the PATS setting and there was a second item that needed to be turned off. When the new program was downloaded the starter functions normally. He tells me that if the starter is turning the PATS system is turned off but I’m still not sure since it seems to me that if I am getting power to the injectors (I do) in start and run, it must be the computer that is not allowing the injectors to function. Only other thing I can think of is that since this engine has sat for 3 years, ALL of the injectors are gummed up—which I think is unlikely. Can anyone help me with just where I go from here?
Can anyone tell me how much voltage I should be able to measure at the fuel injector plugs?
Thanks in advance
Bill
Actually, sounds exactly like a PATS issue to me, to be honest with you. That's exactly what the PATS system does - turns off the injectors. If he already had a "second item to be turned off" there's a good chance he still hasn't disabled it properly.

When I swapped instrument clusters, I had PATS issues - the car would crank all day but wouldn't ever start, theft light blinking the whole time. PATS doesn't disable the starter, it disables the fuel.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

+1 to double checking the PATS system.

I know when screwing with mine it would definitely turn over but it just wouldn't start (no fuel).

In other words, in these cars, 99-04, the PATS system cuts the fuel but the starter will still get power...maybe they changed this in the new engines. I see you're running an '06.