4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

On3 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Default On3 Turbo Kit

So, i went ahead and pulled the trigger, and orderd me up an on3 turbo kit, with the masterpower T70 upgrade, figure since i havent heard of anyone on this forum running one yet, i'll pick it up and do a lil review on it.

i already have a full QA1 coilover setup, and i have a 255lb pump and 42lb injectors in a box waitin to go in.

my car is mostly stock, just running the coilovers, with 3.73's, SLP LM1 exhaust, and a CAI, which will get replaced by the kit.

guy on the phone was awesome when i ordered, said he is actually packing it and shipping it out today.

just a couple questions i got as far as some things go. i need a MAF. i see some on ebay, ford 90mm's off of a lightning, will one of these work?

as for a tune, im still doin research on where i can get one done. should i consider doing an SCT or Sniper or what? obviously im gunna need dyno time.

still wondering how im gunna do the oil, any way to run it without having to tap the pan? if not then i might as well wait to change my oil...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Congrats! What did that system cost you?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

2067.00 shipped to door. this isnt an all inclusive price, as it only includes hotside/coldside/turbo, and requires all the other stuff seperately.

i paid 650 about a year and a half ago for the QA1 kit.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Congrats!!! Welcome to the world of boost

TO answer some of the questions:
Maf; If your still on the stock bottom, you prob wont need a new maf. But the 90mm will work.
Oil tap; prob going to have to tap the pan. From what i have read it is quite easy to do though. Biggest worry would be metal shavings getting in the pan. Just be sure you flush it with some oil before filling it up and running the motor. I personally would just drain the old oil into a clean pan, tap the oil pan, and then pour the old oil back through the motor with the pan's plug out. this should flush it of any unwanted shavings. Then just fill it with new oil and you should be good to go.
Tunning; I would def recomend a dyno tune. 90% of the tuners use SCT software to tune with. Do you have a SCT programmer? or any programmer for that matter. They will load the tune on the programmer for you and may give you multipul tunes so that you can switch from one to another with a push of a button.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

well, i found a tuner near here, near atco raceway (NJ), but he deals with diablo, not SCT. not sure if there's a huge difference? a guy that was in my old unit had an SCT xcal 3 and that thing was pretty cool.

also thinkin of getting a BBK 78mm intake + BBK shorty headers so i'll let you know if they're compatible or not. but that'll be after i get the turbo on.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I have heard a lot of people knock this kit... but everyone who has actually purchased it has liked it. Good call on the upgraded turbo though.

The system is going to run a blow thru MAF... Personally I would run a +05 slot style MAF. They get great readings using a blow thru setup.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
shwert
1st Gear Member

that seem like a pretty cheap kit, compared to a hellion. what does the kid not include that you'll need to complete it?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Oh and I'd probably dump those 3.73 gears too... I don't think you're going to like those too much with the turbo.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Oh and I'd probably dump those 3.73 gears too... I don't think you're going to like those too much with the turbo.
why?? those will be the perfect gear for a turbo 2v
Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I have heard a lot of people knock this kit...
i live 20mins from on3performance and personally know the guy and all of his turbo cars he has done so far...people on our local forum run the on3 kits with great success.....sure it uses a lot of china piping...but its all just plumbing...upgrade to a decent turbo and youre good to go...ive heard nothing but good from people who use it.....people on the internet just like to trash on the kit without ever using it because it doesnt cost 8 grand like a hellion kit

Quick Reply: On3 Turbo Kit