4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

On3 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Back in my honda days i made totally new grounds for my car. You should just go to a sterio install place and buy some nice thick speaker wire, they have rolls of the stuff and its not terribly expensive (looks nice too), then some nice 24k plated conectors and badda bing bada boom BADass Grounds!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
naza
2nd Gear Member

this might be a dumb question but, what is the cause of the exhaust leaks????
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

v-bands not properly lining up or loose would cause exhaust leaks. i just used some high temp RTV and splooged it on the v-band and smushed them together then magically somehow slipped the v-band clamp over them. so far so good with exhaust leaks. i stuffed some rags in the tail pipes to see if the vapor/smoke was comin out of any of the pipes and didnt knotice anything. i need to tighten up the remaining 2 O2 sensors(originally upstream), and then find out what ima do with my other o2 sensors, since they're about... oh 4 months old? lol. they have less than 500 miles on them... they're extended wire too i think.

oh and btw, harbor freight impact wrenches are life savers. lol i couldnt imagine tryin to do this without it. i picked mine up for 42$ 240ft lbs at my disposal.

edit - fixed the oil line... kinda... well see if it leaks, but i basically just flipped it around (swapped sides) and it screwed right on and is tight. it isnt leaking as is, but we'll see once pressure is on. adjusted camber (wee that was fun, good ting i have digital angle meter) pushed the top plates in toward the center of car .5 degrees. (is that positive or negative camber?) swapped springs to 14x225lb's. started putting bumper on after tightening up all cold side. bumper is tight fit, and i think intercooler might be too low. bumper bulges ever so slightly at bottom (cant see unless your under car). i'll probably just bend the brackets later as the bottom of the bumper is actually at an angle and i suspect that might also be causing the problem. not that its really that bad. if i add chin spoiler it would hide it. or get a roush front lol.

for temporarily im going to undo the battery cable and try and run it another route so its not running so close to the belt (its tight in there with that turbo in the way now) my idea earlier to get UDP's went out the window because now that turbo is in the way and theres no way in hell im takin it off to swap. lol not that i'll really need to upgrade the UDP's anyways...

im wondering about that down pipe, as its still sitting on my a-arm. as soon as i get the bumper on im gunna let her off the jack stands to see how it all lays out when she sits. hopefully its not a problem, but im guessing im gunna have to have a tab welded on and a bracket made to hold it up out of the way (i can push it up about oh maybe 1/2 an inch till it touches the k-member, and there it would seem to be a non-issue)

im wondering what she's gunna weigh after all said and done, so i think eventually im gunna get her weighed, if i can find somewhere close to do it. called Craig again, and he said im good for the end of this week if i want to bring it in and have it tuned. quoted me 650 for a chip. think im just gunna go with a burned chip rather than buy a diablo sport because i dont really plan on changing too much myself. im also thinking of getting a WOTBOX (www.n2mb.com). i've heard it helps out the neon SRT-4 guys a ton, so i figured hey, why not? its also go a built in 2-step, wich is the only thign i would want a tuner for, and this thing is about 200 dollars less, and is more programmable in those features (at least, from what i've seen from an SCT xcal 2)

Last edited by zero2005; 01-26-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Any updates at this time?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

update now: dropped car of yesterday, got car back today. had fuel filter changed, and spark plugs changed. i woulda done it myself but noone stocks NGK's, Radical did.

Tune started as follows. they were using the "Stock Red" spring which equals about 8-9PSI on my wastegate (different from directions). directions said use that PLUS the small supplied yellow one to equal 8 lbs boost. well they tuned at first with the installed red/yellow combo... and hit 13lbs of boost and stopped it before it could make any more than 448HP and nearly 500TQ. lol... im thinkin i should go with Tials numbers for boost/spring rate, as that might seem more logical, since i matched thier springs up pretty well against the chart im thinkin i'll swap the lower PSI springs, do a couple street runs to see what boost im gettin, and match em up. tials showin for 8.7lbs of boost, use just the small blue spring. i'll try that and see if i get .6 BAR on my gauge.

i had them detune it, back to 8PSI at 341HP/406TQ. ran into some issues, and i really need my car for now, so he said come back and for 100$ he'll do it again. Craig @ radical is freakin amazing. if theres ANYONE in south jersey, GO TO HIM! noone can beat his prices. 650 for the chip + dyno. altho the numbers arent exactly impressive right now for 8psi, im gunna isolate a couple things first, like my battery cables that gave problems (starting issues)...

i have both dyno sheets. there were other pulls of corse, but it seemed boost was decreasing with every pull. we werent sure why, maybe because of heatsoak and where the intercooler is located, but power decreased, even with 10 minute breaks, between pulls. so final tune was 341rwhp/406tq. she rides like a beast, and is LOUD AS ALL HELL. literally sounds like she's dumped at the manifolds. the 3.73's arent too bad at all for now.

im thinkin i need some BBK Shorties to even out the exhaust pulses, and a 78mm BBK intake to reduce any possible source of restrictions. also wanna see if i can find some kind of gaskets for the v-bands, and replace all of the v-bands with better ones.

also ordered my MGW finally no more grindin gears fer me! it'll be here on monday...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

What do u have done to your motor, and what exhaust setup do u have? Get some in car and out of the car videos up. I wanna hear it! And put a few pics up if u can.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i'll upload the dyno sheets today if i can. dunno if i gunna be able to get vids up right this minute, gotta wait for the wife so i can get observer view. and such. and obviously all i have is the crappy camera i used for my youtube video.

exhaust is SLP LM1 catback. oh and not sure if this makes much of a difference, but Craig put a PCV valve on, he said he always runs them with the vortech kits, and said he called Chat @ on3, and was wondering. so he put that on for me. pretty sweet. motor is otherwise stock.

he went real conservative on the spark, as you can see from the numbers. which is good for me for now. im still hopin to get 400+ on 8lbs once i get everything completed 110% like turbo and exhaust bracing. chads new kits dont provide any tabs or anything for bracing, his old kits had 2 tabs that allowed you to hang it in 2 places. feels a bit loose, and it rests on my passenger side A-arm.

oh and when he did the plugs, he found out the guy that had it before me, swapped plugs only on one side! grrr. lol and the fuel filter he took out was ****. owner before me said everything was good. said he took it to a shop before handing it off to me. guess not...

and one last thing: THE COMPRESSER SPINS AT IDLE NOW! yay! lol guess she just needed a "break in" because when she was on the dyno she was spinnin NICE

Last edited by zero2005; 01-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

How did the sound of the turbo at topend sound and is the BOV pretty loud?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

turbo sounds great, though over my exhaust, lol hard to hear best sound is around 2500 when she really kicks in its like going from normal car to HOLY CRAP IM STUCK IN MY SEAT car once she kicks the boost in. BOV sounds pretty badass inside the car, but its not as loud as i thought outside the car. during tuning we could barely hear it because i guess its being muffled by the bumper cover.

oh and, i still gotta get my boost gauge inside the car. lol havent found any good used grommets to slide it through yet. all the ones i saw were packed tight with wires and i really dont wanna drill a hole just yet until i can ensure i get the dual cluster bezel.

oh and the bolts for the wastegate are crap. wastegate seems pretty good otherwise, but i'll prolly still just get a tial or something later.

Last edited by zero2005; 01-30-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Yea ill be upgrading the bov and wastegate as well. Going to do in car boost controller. Getting my kmember and coil overs on in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: On3 Turbo Kit