4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Small Idle issue today...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
OMG ive never seen anything like that. You should consider yourself lucky thats all that happened. Also a good idea to pop the hood once in a while lol
Trust me, I've been under the hood quite a bit trying to figure out which of my pullies is squeaking and just generally tinkering around.
Originally Posted by Hangwire
So essentially once the mouse got fully burned through your engine she ran fine? :P Hiccup!

Oh my god man wow this is #1 on the "WTF MATE" list. I wont forget this one.......holy ****.
No, there is a screen in the intake tube right before the maf sensor that stopped everything, mouse included, from being ingested.
Yes, this is the first time I've ever seen this, myself. I've seen this in exhaust pipes and radiators that didnt have the holes covered, but never the intake. I wouldn't have believed the car would run with this in there, if I hadn't seen it first hand.

Anyways, thanks to all those who posted to help me out with the problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

LOL That picture is awesome!!! Glad it didn't cost you any money bud.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MidNightRunner
LOL That picture is awesome!!! Glad it didn't cost you any money bud.
no doubt!
the pic is deffinatley one for the books. I just can't believe it even ran like this. When I test drove the car, I just assumed the lack of power was due to the 110k on the odometer.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You fail
Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
keeno
2nd Gear Member

Holy hell! Yeah, I would say that is definately the work of some sort of rodent! Might wanna take the hose assembly apart to make sure no more string, lint, whatever all that crap is is stuck in there between the air filter box and the throttle body. May be some crap stuck on the throttle blade. Clean the MAF too.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
Trust me, I've been under the hood quite a bit trying to figure out which of my pullies is squeaking and just generally tinkering around
Think you found the pulley squeak too lol. Thats amazing though, Ive seen the exhaust, uncovered intakes, heater boxes, and even a cylinder. That little bugger was stubborn for a home, and he found one apparently.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
You fail
wow...

care to elaborate on those 2 whole big words there?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by keeno
Holy hell! Yeah, I would say that is definately the work of some sort of rodent! Might wanna take the hose assembly apart to make sure no more string, lint, whatever all that crap is is stuck in there between the air filter box and the throttle body. May be some crap stuck on the throttle blade. Clean the MAF too.
yeah, I pulled apart everything and cleaned it up with carb cleaner. Honestly, felt like I was driving a different car.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 PM
GTVAPSAMTIK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
I know you guys are gonna bust my twig and giggleberries for this because this was an issue I should have found the day I bought the car. I pulled open my air filter box and pulled the air intake tube off, this is what I found.

I can only assume that during the 8 months it sat, a lil furry critter made a nice lil home for itself.
I pulled the junk out, cleaned the maf and tb with carb cleaner, bought a new air filter. Put it all back together and it was like I had a new car. I swear to you guys, my assdyno, told me I gained around 20hp. The motor was starving for air and I didn't even know it.
dam i was like WTF when I saw that pic ROLF
Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

haha nice^

Quick Reply: Small Idle issue today...Need Advice