4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A/C not blowing cool air

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Back in town, so I am going to refill it this evening, already bought the freon. If I remember correctly the port to fill it is on the passenger side, maybe a blue cap? Can someone confirm if that is correct?

I am not in front of the car, so want to make sure I can locate the port when I go do the refill this evening.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Mine was a black cap.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The low and high side service fittings are different sizes--the filler hose will not fit on the wrong connector--which is the low side, the smaller of the two...
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000BlkGtConvgobucks
Wow, i keep getting stuck behind cliffy on the posts. AC can be really tricky, but not usually on our cars..... I don't really understand your post, but im assuming that once again cliffy is right. Have you tried to recharge your system (adding refrigerant)? If so and its still not working, have someone sit in the car and turn on and then off the AC at controlled intervals. At the same time you should be visually watching the compressor to see if the clutch is engaging. If it is, is it staying engaged for a short or long period of time? Let us know the answers to these questions and anything else you see as issues with your problems that you might of left out of your post. good luck, hope i can help in the future
It didn't work. I might have to try your idea... I tried to put refrigerant in , but the gauge on the can (IDQ) read 100-150 psi (red zone) which indicated it was full... I still tried to put some in for a minute or so...

I'm beginning to see why I typically ditch my cars b4 the 100K mile mark (I am at 89K) .. lol .. At least now I get to hear the beautiful purr of my engine each day I drive to and from work, lol...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to get a real gauge set--the silly things that come with the "refill" kits are garbage--it may be that it's overfilled...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
aviator97

From your earlier post I would suspect the compressor is bad. With the engine off reach in front of the compressor and grab the clutch (black round rubber piece on the front of the ac compressor) and try turning it by hand. It should turn freely due to the clutch being disengaged while the engine is off. If you feel strong resistance or metal grinding its toast time to get a new one. Brand new ones will be hard to turn but only for a few miles during break in due to tight tolerances. If you need a new one and don't know what you are doing let a trusted shop do it. If you don't flush the system correctly your new compressor will burn up within a couple months. (ask me how I know!!).

Good luck with it...as we floridians know ac is not a option down here.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Could the noise its making from the pullies / belt give any indications of the problem?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Yes. The noise could be due to the clutch seizing up and the belt slipping over it. I have also seen where this happens, the engine will no longer stay running due to the drag on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your orifice tube is plugged up but to really tell you need to put a set of gauges on it. Sometime the orifice tube will plug up then 'unplug' as the trash in the system moves around, which might explain the intermediate A/C operation. Also when the tube is plugged up the system can over pressurize causing the compressor to stop; this in turn might be causing the belt to slip, making the noise and burning smell.

They have some cheap gauge sets that will work and you can use those to confirm the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

^^^WRONG^^^^^ The compressor is on a clutch. If what you are saying was true then the clutch would not engage, therefore compressor does not run. Compressor and clutch are two different things even though they are attached to one another. When there is no power applied to the clutch it just free wheels. And buying a gauge set is worthless if you don't have a clue what the readings mean, and how to properly diagnose problems.

Quick Reply: A/C not blowing cool air