4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HP Gains with Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

http://www.livewiretuner.com/

This says 15 RWHP and 18 RWTQ with the canned tunes.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The "canned" or preloaded SCT tunes are okay, but SCT devices were really meant for custom tuning. If you get a custom mail-order tune from Bama, you're going to get about 20RWHP on 93 octane. That's dyno-proven horsepower from tunes that the Bama team, including myself, have developed over the years in our dyno tuning experience as well as in-house on our own Dynojet 224xLC, 10+ company vehicles and 30+ employee Mustangs.

It's more than just the WOT power, it's the driveability, and part throttle shifting and automatic trans characteristics for auto Stangs. Of course the 05+ Mustangs make tunes sound glorious, because they're drive-by-wire and Ford left alot more on the table. 1996-2004 tunes with few bolt-ons wont set the world on fire. But you will notice a difference all the way around. That, proper air/fuel ratio, optimized spark delivery, etc. There are tons of reasons why... and not too many why nots.

Oh and free tunes for life!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...eply3162011sct
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Thankyou for your input, Ive been browsing your website for a while now, just waiting on $$ as usual. I did have another question and sorry to go off course but what do you mean by throttle shifting on auto's. Im not sure, but i know when I drive mine, I will keep the pedal floored and then when it feels like its gonna shift, I will let up and floor it again. That seems to give me a better shift but Im not sure if Im gonna screw anything up doing that. Thanks for your help and all of the forum members help. Im not too familar with the newer mustangs. Thank all of you.

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
The "canned" or preloaded SCT tunes are okay, but SCT devices were really meant for custom tuning. If you get a custom mail-order tune from Bama, you're going to get about 20RWHP on 93 octane. That's dyno-proven horsepower from tunes that the Bama team, including myself, have developed over the years in our dyno tuning experience as well as in-house on our own Dynojet 224xLC, 10+ company vehicles and 30+ employee Mustangs.

It's more than just the WOT power, it's the driveability, and part throttle shifting and automatic trans characteristics for auto Stangs. Of course the 05+ Mustangs make tunes sound glorious, because they're drive-by-wire and Ford left alot more on the table. 1996-2004 tunes with few bolt-ons wont set the world on fire. But you will notice a difference all the way around. That, proper air/fuel ratio, optimized spark delivery, etc. There are tons of reasons why... and not too many why nots.

Oh and free tunes for life!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...eply3162011sct
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 AM
ill_eagle94
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goochstang
I have exhaust, intake and I recently tuned my 01 GT and holy **** what a difference. I chirp 3rd now with the tune, mines auto btw.
I've got intake, O/R h, and a catback. My car does not chirp 3rd. Don't get me wrong, it shifts pretty hard, but it's not chirping 3rd.

Maybe it's because my snow tires are taller than stock diameter (235/55/17)? We'll see once I get the summer tires back on, although they're 315's, so they may not chirp in 3rd either.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by supermario
Thankyou for your input, Ive been browsing your website for a while now, just waiting on $$ as usual. I did have another question and sorry to go off course but what do you mean by throttle shifting on auto's. Im not sure, but i know when I drive mine, I will keep the pedal floored and then when it feels like its gonna shift, I will let up and floor it again. That seems to give me a better shift but Im not sure if Im gonna screw anything up doing that. Thanks for your help and all of the forum members help. Im not too familar with the newer mustangs. Thank all of you.
Hey,

It's no problem! The throttle response is a little improved (not as crazy as a drive-by-wire car, but definitely improved) as well, we make the trans shift firmer, and faster. We also change where it shifts to that it holds in gear a little longer and feels better for performance all the way around. This will keep you from having to let off each shift.

Chris
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
redriderjf87

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There is very little you can bolt-on that will add any significant power without a custom tune; opening up the exhaust is about it.

The stock tuning has very conservative ignition timing and runs pig-rich at WOT (as much as 11.0:1) so that it will never ping on 87 octane fuel under any conditions. A dead stock new-edge GT will benefit from even an 87 octane optimised tune.

I have tuned a number of stock GTs and never had anyone come back from the first drive without a grin on there face...
I realize I'm reviving a zombie thread, but this is useful info. I'm having some Bama tune wot struggles (originally 10.0 afr, now 11.8 is the leanest I can seem to get). I was wondering how that compared to stock (since I feel like it should be better), it sounds like 12.3-12.4 or so is what more aggressive tunes end up at? Thanks
Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 AM
shaker56

Default Your gains = power

If you do buy a SCT X4 tuner it will definitely be a good investment with or without any upgrades and you will see a difference I bought mine from American Muscle with an Airraid cold air intake as a package AM will give you 3 tunes off the bat after you fill out the sheet on your stang or other car you will be amazed on the power that is available just in the tunes it will surprise you on how much power that tuner unlocks also i have tunes for life with the way i bought mine When you do buy power addones all you do is shoot AM an email with the items you installed and they will email you newtunes that work with what ever you added I Have stroked 4.6 engine and lots of addons and i just request new tunes and in a few days bang they go in my tuner and in the car you will be happy when you see the power they unlock even without any xtras