Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 Mustang GT
Default Wide band o2 sensor work with Autometer A/F gauge

I have an Autometer Ultra-lite Digital A/F ratio Gauge. Alot of People say they are basically useless with the stock Narrow band o2 sensor. So if I purchased and installed a Wideband o2 sensor would it make my a/f gauge read more acurate. It won't be so I can tune my car I just want a really accurate gauge so I can make sure I don't lean my car out and blow it up with my blower. Will this work? And how do I wire it up? For instance the narrow 02 is 4 wires. A wideband 02 is 6 wires. Where do I connect the other wires. I would instal the wideband 02 in the driver side long tube header since its the most likely to lean out first since its on the back side of fuel delivery. The fuel enters on passenger side. Thanks guys
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
1996 Mustang GT-N.PI Stock Motor: SLP(LT Headers, LM1 exhaust & X-pipe), 75mm T.B., Intake Spacer, P.I. Intake Swap, Nitto 555 tires, PMAS Pro-tube MAF, Procharger w/ 10#'s of boost, 3 core intercooler, 42# injectors, SCT Tuner, and King Cobra Clutch sittin around -330rwhp, 366torque & 101,xxx mi.

2003 F150-King Ranch, Super Crew, 4x4, 5.4L Triton, Stock, 44,xxx mi.
FLMustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

It won't work.

A narrow band O2 sensor contains an electrochemical Nernst cell that generates a voltage inversely proportional to the oxygen content of the gas in which it is immersed.

A wideband sensor contains a narrow band sensor and an electrochemical oxygen "pump" cell, and requires a microprocessor controller to function. The processor uses the output of the NB sensor to see if a sample of the exhaust gas (held in a small chamber) is rich or lean. It then adjust the voltage (level and polarity) and current to the pump cell to cause it to add or remove O2 from the sample chamber; until the NB sensor reports the sample as being stoichiometric; Lambda (λ) 1.0 or 14.7:1 AFR for gasoline.

Because the processor knows what voltage (of what polarity) and what current (for so long) was required to make the sample λ1.0 it also knows what the λ of the original sample was-and it generates a voltage output (often 0-5V) representative of the exhaust gas' original AFR.

There are wide band controllers that can output a 0-1V signal and drive a narrow band meter; the Innovate LC-1 can be programmed to do this, and there are others as well.
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, 2007, 46, af, autometer, band, dual, gauge, gt, install, mustang, narrow, o2, rear, sensor, turbo, wideband