4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Halo Projector Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM
seanyd2318

Both the smoked OEM and the Smoked Halo projectors were hard to see with regular bulbs. If you get any type of smoked lens you need to upgrade the bulbs whether it is a simple bulb upgrade (luminics or sylvania silver stars) or an HID kit. I threw out the HID idea because it is a brighter nicer light, you can pick the "color" you want, they last a heck of a lot longer and they were pretty much the same price.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM
seanyd2318

@sean: Did you use the H1 kit? 35W or 55W? What else did you get with it (the options drop downs) or was it just the bulbs and ballasts?
I used 55W for my headlights and 35W for my fog lights. Both sets are bright so 35W would probably work for the headlights also. I got them a couple years ago but, in regards to the drop downs, I did 55w, 9007 hi/low (because they were for OEM headlights not the raxioms), 8000k for headlights and 6000k for fogs (they say that the color gets a little washed out with the 55w so I went up another level to semi compensate), and I did not pick anything for the last 3 drop downs. I will try to find a picture of my car to show what I have currently with the lights on.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
OneSik03

Originally Posted by seanyd2318
I used 55W for my headlights and 35W for my fog lights. Both sets are bright so 35W would probably work for the headlights also. I got them a couple years ago but, in regards to the drop downs, I did 55w, 9007 hi/low (because they were for OEM headlights not the raxioms), 8000k for headlights and 6000k for fogs (they say that the color gets a little washed out with the 55w so I went up another level to semi compensate), and I did not pick anything for the last 3 drop downs. I will try to find a picture of my car to show what I have currently with the lights on.
Man, I have been looking at DDM tuning and am really leaning towards an HID kit. A couple quick questions for you.
1. What kind of headlight assemblies do you have? OEM, Projectors etc...? This is what I can't decide on...HID's in an OEM or projector???
2. I"m pretty sure I know how to install the HID's for the headlights, but I am not quite sure how to do the fog lights. Did you just order the same HID setup with DDM, just with a conversion kit for the fog light bulb type? And where did you end up mounting the ballasts for the fog lights?
3. Are you happy with ddm HID's? Good brightness, color, and were you able to aim them well? Don;t know what the laws are where you live, but ever had any trouble with getting pulled over for them?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right the first time around haha. Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
OneSik03

Sorry to double post, but I just looked at your post again Seany and did you say you threw out the HID idea? In the next post you talked about having them on your car. My bad, just a little confused haha.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

he threw it out as in suggesting it...lol
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The RH image in StockD15b post appears to be the combo high/low bulb with both lit simultaneously. Is this the case? I know that the OEM design is to NOT allow this option, per DOT rules/regulations, but have a way to address this little issue and wondering if you did the same thing as below:

Projector HID mod

Fog light mod

Now, if this image is NORMAL for low-beam only operation, it may seem great, but are HORRIBLE for oncoming drivers and those directly in front of them!

One more question, I currently run 35W 8000K HID's in my projector headlights. I see mention of 55W bulbs and wonder if anyone has had issues of the additional head damaging the housings? I would LOVE to go 55W 6000K bulbs, but don't want to damage my headlight housings. I have e-mailed DDM about this issue, but never replied to The Kitty

Jazzer
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
seanyd2318

sorry for not being clear but steve is correct. I "threw it out" as giving you an idea.

1) I do currently have HIDs in these headlights: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sm99hewiclco.html

HIDs in a projector headlight are technically better because you can adjust or point the light better. People do not like putting HIDs in our OEM housing because the OEM housing is a reflective housing and just reflects the light onto the road. They also can be a little more irritating for oncoming traffic. I find that with a smoked housing that the light is not that annoying to oncoming traffic and it still gives out a great amount of light.

2. Installation for both the headlights and the fogs were very simple. For the fogs you have to do the same thing for the headlights and just pick the correct bulb that fits the housing. I actually cut off the connectors and spliced the wires together. I found that this was more reliable than the plugs they provide. I zip tied the ballasts somewhere by the backside of the light. The ballasts are small and light so they can really go anywhere. Just try to keep them away from a place that will get soaked.

3. I LOVE them and so does everyone else that sees the car. I live in CT and I have never had a problem with them.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM
OneSik03

sorry for not being clear but steve is correct. I "threw it out" as giving you an idea.

1) I do currently have HIDs in these headlights: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sm99hewiclco.html

HIDs in a projector headlight are technically better because you can adjust or point the light better. People do not like putting HIDs in our OEM housing because the OEM housing is a reflective housing and just reflects the light onto the road. They also can be a little more irritating for oncoming traffic. I find that with a smoked housing that the light is not that annoying to oncoming traffic and it still gives out a great amount of light.

2. Installation for both the headlights and the fogs were very simple. For the fogs you have to do the same thing for the headlights and just pick the correct bulb that fits the housing. I actually cut off the connectors and spliced the wires together. I found that this was more reliable than the plugs they provide. I zip tied the ballasts somewhere by the backside of the light. The ballasts are small and light so they can really go anywhere. Just try to keep them away from a place that will get soaked.

3. I LOVE them and so does everyone else that sees the car. I live in CT and I have never had a problem with them.
Thanks so much for your help Seany, really appreciate it. Yeah I think I have decided that I am going to go with something similar to your setup. the projector headlights are so expensive and the halo's plus HID head and fog lights might look a little too flashy and busy haha. One last question for ya...where did you end up bolting the ground wire for the fog lights?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
seanyd2318

You do not have to bolt the ground for the fog light setup. There are two wires that match the original plug. I cut off the plugs and just matched up the two wires. The headlights do have a ground and you can pretty put it anywhere. I used to have those exact headlights and I liked them for like two months and then grew out of them. I thought the LEDs and the halos were kinda tacky for the mustang and took away from the rest of the car's overall badass look. It is also a lot cheaper to stick with the stock headlights and just get HID's.

Jazzer: I am pretty sure you should be good with the 55W bulbs. Operating temperature is 105-120C max for HIDs which is a lot cooler than a regular halogen bulb. I do not know if it will somehow fade the projector (if that is even possible).

This is my setup now:

This was my setup with the halo projectors:
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...2-28-33_93.jpg

Last edited by seanyd2318; 01-10-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OneSik03
Man, I have been looking at DDM tuning and am really leaning towards an HID kit. A couple quick questions for you.
1. What kind of headlight assemblies do you have? OEM, Projectors etc...? This is what I can't decide on...HID's in an OEM or projector???
2. I"m pretty sure I know how to install the HID's for the headlights, but I am not quite sure how to do the fog lights. Did you just order the same HID setup with DDM, just with a conversion kit for the fog light bulb type? And where did you end up mounting the ballasts for the fog lights?
3. Are you happy with ddm HID's? Good brightness, color, and were you able to aim them well? Don;t know what the laws are where you live, but ever had any trouble with getting pulled over for them?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right the first time around haha. Thanks!!
1.HID's truely and legaly only belong in a HID Projector,will you get a ticket it for it? No. But its illegal.
2.If you do go the HID route, make sure you get a relay harness. Mount the ballast where ever you can find a good spot that close to the bulbs and harness.I can get ya pictures if you do go this route.
3.All HID kits are in reality the same. Just different packaging or looks. Bottom line is its cheap, low (to no) quality control. I wwouldnt pay anything over $30 for a HID kit.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The RH image in StockD15b post appears to be the combo high/low bulb with both lit simultaneously. Is this the case? I know that the OEM design is to NOT allow this option, per DOT rules/regulations, but have a way to address this little issue and wondering if you did the same thing as below:

Projector HID mod

Fog light mod

Now, if this image is NORMAL for low-beam only operation, it may seem great, but are HORRIBLE for oncoming drivers and those directly in front of them!

One more question, I currently run 35W 8000K HID's in my projector headlights. I see mention of 55W bulbs and wonder if anyone has had issues of the additional head damaging the housings? I would LOVE to go 55W 6000K bulbs, but don't want to damage my headlight housings. I have e-mailed DDM about this issue, but never replied to The Kitty

Jazzer
Jazzer, the second picture is a HID projector and an Halogen projector powered up at the same time, one aimed at the the top, one to the bottom. Its not 1 headlight, but 2 seperate ones.

Quick Reply: Halo Projector Headlights Question