4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Greddy Turbo off of a Celica

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Default Greddy Turbo off of a Celica

my friend has a celica and it has a ball bearing greddy turbo. but he is upgrading to a bigger size and will sell me this one. if i buy the head unit.

where would i get the pipes, intercooler, bov, and other stuff. im not to familiar with turbo setups. what would i have to buy if i buy the turbo its self from him. thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

1. Waste of time for a V8
2. Waste of money on all the custom piping need for a single turbo
3. The turbo is WAYYYY to small!
4. Installing the single turbo is pointless, the turbo will be out of its efficiency range running on such a lower RPM car versus a 4 banger celica.
5. The turbo is made for a 2.0L Celica, your engine is more than twice as big.

Now if he had 2 of the turbos it might be alright!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by brent22
1. Waste of time for a V8
2. Waste of money on all the custom piping need for a single turbo
3. The turbo is WAYYYY to small!
4. Installing the single turbo is pointless, the turbo will be out of its efficiency range running on such a lower RPM car versus a 4 banger celica.
5. The turbo is made for a 2.0L Celica, your engine is more than twice as big.

Now if he had 2 of the turbos it might be alright!
Are you saying that the only way for it be worth it on a mustang is to twin turbo it?Honestly large single turbo setups are the way to go nowadays, the point of running twin turbos was to elimated spooling time or "boost lag" but with turbo technology today its not really that big of a deal, rinning a twin tur o setup is also alot more expensive and in the long run probably not really worth it. The efficency range thing yor talking about I cant make sense of, and honestly we dont know if its a small turbo because he never even said what size it is.

Last edited by uberstang1; 01-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Are you saying that the only way for it be worth it on a mustang is to twin turbo it?Honestly large single turbo setups are the way to go nowadays, the point of running twin turbos was to elimated spooling time or "boost lag" but with turbo technology today its not really that big of a deal, rinning a twin tur o setup is also alot more expensive and in the long run probably not really worth it. The efficency range thing yor talking about I cant make sense of, and honestly we dont know if its a small turbo because he never even said what size it is.
I know single turbos are the way to go. Twin turbos are yes way more expensive but based on the knowledge of the turbo being from a Celica I would have to assume the turbo is going to be too small to provide a significant gain in hp for the price it would be to build/ install the turbo. OP what size is the turbo from the Celica? The turbo being out of an efficency range part is based on it being a small turbo, if the turbo is too small it would be over working to provide more power... it would be like trying to run 25+ psi out of a P1SC.

On a side note if the turbo is in fact a large enough turbo then yes I would try and make something work if I was the OP but its still not going to be cheap.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by brent22
I know single turbos are the way to go. Twin turbos are yes way more expensive but based on the knowledge of the turbo being from a Celica I would have to assume the turbo is going to be too small to provide a significant gain in hp for the price it would be to build/ install the turbo. OP what size is the turbo from the Celica? The turbo being out of an efficency range part is based on it being a small turbo, if the turbo is too small it would be over working to provide more power... it would be like trying to run 25+ psi out of a P1SC.

On a side note if the turbo is in fact a large enough turbo then yes I would try and make something work if I was the OP but its still not going to be cheap.
The turbo is only going to be making the boot level as the boost controller is, are you trying to say the mustangs exhaust pressure is going to be to much for the turbo? Who knows when he says celica it could be a supra. Just like an evo is a lancer, a supra is a celica in my book.

Last edited by uberstang1; 01-12-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The turbo is only going to be making the boot level as the boost controller is, are you trying to say the mustangs exhaust pressure is going to be to much for the turbo? Who knows when he says celica it could be a supra. Just like an evo is a lancer, a supra is a celica in my book.
The turbo is a greddy 75mm turbo. So uberstang do u think it will be worth it. I don't think I would have to get custom piping, wouldn't I just have to get piping that is made to fit my model and year car and buy an intercooler, headers, bov, and injectors??
Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

oh man if it is a 75mm go for it! Thats a good size turbo for a mustang. And you can go to on3 performance or even hellion and they should both sell just piping kits for our cars. Good luck with the build
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
oh man if it is a 75mm go for it! Thats a good size turbo for a mustang. And you can go to on3 performance or even hellion and they should both sell just piping kits for our cars. Good luck with the build
Yea he's selling me the turbo for 300. Is that good. Just the turbo nothing else. I think it's pretty good.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im not up to par on turbo pricing, but a 75mm turbo will definatly make some power without a doubt, as far as piping goes its gonna be hit or miss, alot of the cheaper kits have poor quality welds and what not but I'd look around, alot of people have had luck with the on3 performance stuff (my friend sure in hell didin't) but u can try that, I beleive it uses the stock exhaust manifolds and you just flip them around so they face forwards.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

I stand corrected on my previous statements. The turbo is well big enough.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo off of a Celica