4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

315's on the way. Couple questions:

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have any experiences with the Sumitomo HTR Z's? I realize its one of the cheapest tires out there in the size 315. And I read every one of AM's reviews on it, but you just never know. Even though it's too late and they are already ordered.

Hard to make a call on reviews alone. Some say they hook. Others say they don't, but will break loose in a predictable way. Most all say good wet weather traction. Some say the life span is 10-20k miles, some say 30-40k miles. Realize its all in the driver and the yearly miles put on the car. Mine is not a DD. Short trips and weekend cruising. Stored winters and avoids rain at all cost. Just looking for a heads up on what to expect.

Anybody?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The HTRZ I tires AM sells on their packages are simply not very good for any serious performance driving They are cheap and will get lots of mileage, but no great traction, I am sorry to say. Now, if they are the HTRZ II's, that is better, but the HTRZ III's are the best of all three for dry grip.

I would expect an easy 30K~40K miles on them, if you don't spin them off and just drive like your average NON-Mustang owner Unfortunately, the HTRZ I in a 315, don't offer any more grip than the 285's. Sumi just "spreads" the tread-blocks farther appart and does not actually add ANY additional contact patch, in the form of compound.

They will be fine, just don't expect a whole lot of dry grip, from an HTRZ I tire.

Jazzer
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Hey, thanks Jazzer.

That is kinda the conclusion I was getting when I was reading all the reviews about them on AM. Good for me as I am actually after longevity. I don't do enough racing and hard launches to justify a super sticky tire. My Mustang isn't fast and I don't try to play it off like it is. It's bark is definitely worse than it's bite.

They will look good on the car nonetheless.

Now, if I ever go F/I or throw some pu$$y juice(NOS) at her, then I will get some Nitto or M/T D/R's. Then will have fun wasting these cheap-o's...lol

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the fenders being rolled. Im on eibach pro kit and 315's. I have had 2 19 year old kids in the back of my car with no problems
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I run 295/35/18 kdw 2's and I have some slight rubbing issues, but mine probably isn't the best example since I have an IRS setup and a 1 inch spacer as well. Pictures to follow soon
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

I just got those same tires like 2 months ago they work fine for me, I baby my car alot and its my DD. they look pretty good imo for the price...yes you can get better ones but theyre good for the price. I get alot better traction than my previous tires...they had about 30% left hahaha

here a pic of 315s...my car isnt lowered though keep in mind

Last edited by TheNameless; 03-05-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Jazz covered the tire comment I was gonna make, so I'll move the rubbing issue.

Nobody has actually asked the REAL question you need to answer. WHAT'S THE BACKSPACING OF THE WHEEL?

Those tires run narrow (so a 315 isn't a true 315 physically). However, rubbing vs not rubbing will have to do with backspacing more than where your exhuast pipes hang and gauging clearance for the quad shock or outter fender lip.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Jazz covered the tire comment I was gonna make, so I'll move the rubbing issue.

Nobody has actually asked the REAL question you need to answer. WHAT'S THE BACKSPACING OF THE WHEEL?

Those tires run narrow (so a 315 isn't a true 315 physically). However, rubbing vs not rubbing will have to do with backspacing more than where your exhuast pipes hang and gauging clearance for the quad shock or outter fender lip.
Uh...Backspacing...Well, I don't know. I just picked the wheels on AM that said "fit the 99-04". When ordering, it never asked me to provide backspacing dimensions. I guess I put my trust in AM's knowledge of what will fit my car.

My exhaust is the Borla Stingers. As I was looking at it today (passenger rear wheel off), it looks like its going to be close to the pipe. Hard to tell though without new wheel to put on. I'm sure I am not the only guy who will be running Borla Stingers with 315's. If this was a major rubbing issue, I'm sure it would of been addressed. Either in the product reviews or somewhere on this forum.

As for the quad shock. I've been told 3 things. 1-It shouldn't rub. 2-Flip the quad shock around. 3-Just remove the shock itself. It doesn't do anything. Will play one of these cards if it's an issue.

With the tires/wheels ordered, I guess I should just wait until they arrive and I get them bolted on. If there is any fitment issues, then I will have a better understanding on whats up and I can ask everybody what the best course of action would be.

Thanks LilRoush
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNameless
I just got those same tires like 2 months ago they work fine for me, I baby my car alot and its my DD. they look pretty good imo for the price...yes you can get better ones but theyre good for the price. I get alot better traction than my previous tires...they had about 30% left hahaha

here a pic of 315s...my car isnt lowered though keep in mind
Boy, I like that first picture. The shot of the rear. Just something about big fat tires. Car looks awesome bro.

Mine is not a DD. I think these tires will fit my needs. I was after cheap, wide, something that will last, and has a decent ride quality. From what I have read, these tires will provide me all four. And compared to the price of the nearest 315, its a huge price difference. If I ever through some serious horsepower in my baby, then I will consider some good D/R's

Thanks for the info...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

No issues w my 315/35/17 my drop is 1.25" out back. I am not using any spacers u dont need them.

Quick Reply: 315's on the way. Couple questions: