4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K&N 57-2519-3 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Gen2 Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default K&N 57-2519-3 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Gen2 Air Intake Kit

** Preface: Yes yes, I know CAI's aren't worth the $$ for the HP gains. I bought this for cosmetic purposes **

K&N 57-2519-3 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Gen2 Air Intake Kit

Has anyone else installed this CAI on their cars? I installed it last night and ran into a bunch of tiny issues with it that has me questioning if I received a defective unit.

I called K&N this morning and they want to me disassemble the entire thing, take pictures and email them so they can tell me. But I figured I'd ask here first to see if others ran into similar issues.

- The most glaring issue with this for me is you cannot remove the filter without removing the CAI from the car. When I called K&N and asked about this, they said "I don't know, the instructions show the entire CAI is installed as once piece so I assume you have to remove it all to remove the filter"

- IAC line is too close to the Oil Fill cap, causing the IAC hose to bend funny around the Oil Fill cap. When I asked about this they said "Sir, did you follow the instructions? I think if I trim back the hose about an inch it may fit better, but I'm leery of shortening the hose in case something else is making this align incorrectly.

- The two metal brackets that came with the unit were twisted and I needed to bend them in a vice in order for them to align and fit the bolt on the engine correctly. When I asked K&N about this they said "Sir, did you follow the instructions? If you did then it must be fitting correctly"

- The rubber grommet that attaches to the intake fits on at a slight angle. It appears the seal around the intake is tight, but it just looks off to me. When I asked K&N about this they said "Sir, did you follow the instructions? If you did then it must be fitting correctly"

So I'm a little ticked at the support I received from K&N. I felt like I was talking to a robot. Such a big name in automotive I expected a little more than this.

I just thought I'd ask here to see if others have used this same CAI and ran into similar issues. My one thought is if the metal brackets are crooked on the heat-shield that that could in turn mis-align the rest of the CAI all the way up to the intake.

Here is a video from K&N for the installation if anyone cares to view it.

Last edited by Shampue; 04-10-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: I spel gud
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

I have that on my car but I have a different engine since my heads are npi. But essentially there are similar things.

1) You can take the filter off without removing the entire tubing.
2) My IAC hose does not bend funny.
3) The bracket on my car was angled but not twisted so it would mount to the car properly
4) I have this grommet I needed to put in, but since I had to drill mine the grommet fit perfect and was in a good location.

I think you received a defective unit from what you are saying. My car isn't with me and I won't see it until Thursday. I'll try to take some good shots of my CAI on Thursday and at least it will give you some reference point if someone doesn't do so before me.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
4) I have this grommet I needed to put in, but since I had to drill mine the grommet fit perfect and was in a good location.

Im not referring to the air sensor grommet. I mean the rubber part that fits between the plastic tubing and the intake itself. I am referring to "L" in this diagram

From what you're saying I think I can fix it by massaging the metal brackets a bit. That may move the whole unit back a little allowing me to access the filter and align the tubing to the intake better.

I'll play around with it tonight, thanks

Edit: I called K&N back after lunch and spoke with a different support guy. He confirmed the bracket are bad and is shipping me two new ones. We'll see if that fixes the issue. I'm sure I could fart around with trying to bend the original brackets but new ones will just be easier.

Last edited by Shampue; 04-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

At least the bracket issue worked out.

I see what you are saying about the grommet. Mine if I recall correctly fits on an angle sort of but I always thought it was because of my strut bar being in the way. I would say if it isn't leaking (like causing a vacuum leak) and the seal is good not to worry too much. I have checked mine a few times because it looked odd to me too.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Thanks.

I am crossing my fingers