4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throttle body air leak solved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Gdgarman

Default Throttle body air leak solved!

This is my secon post and I hope helps some people. My dad has a 99 mustang gt with an aftermarket intake manifold that uses doorman gaskets. Well in my previous post I needed help with the timing cover and luckily it got resolved thanks to members here on the forum. Well I ran into another problem that almost had me ripping out my hair. I had a high idle and rpm surging. I hooked up my live data scan tool and looked at all the sensors and everything was fine except o2 sensors with way lean and fuel trim was adding tons of fuel long and short. I had the head ache task of checking and re checking all sensors and fuel pressure and everything kept coming back as fine. So I decided it was an intake leak, I didn't know my dads mustang needed doorman gaskets until after I bought them and pulled the intake manifold off >:/ sucked. But after replacing all gaskets the car ran way worse then it did before. Major set back. The intake leak was really audible and kept coming from the bottom of the throttle body. Like all around it bad. So I kept taking it off and on and kept looking at it and I thought I had broke the plastic around it. Well after a few hours and a couple of beers I looked at it and the gasket was visible. Im guessing I over tightened the throttle body and pulled up the metal inserts . Well not to be too long but you can knock them back down so it's flush and hand tighten the throttle body bolts and it worked. Head ache was gone, no more intake leaks anywhere. But the fuel trim was still dumping fuel so it kept stalling and bogging out. So I pulled off the battery cables for a few min and reset the ecu then it started right up and runs great. I just wanted to let any one who was having this problem to know you can knock the inserts back in if you mess up and over tighten it an you can hear the leak under the throttle body. I took some pics with my phone but dunno how to post it sorry.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Gdgarman

These are the metal inserts i was talking about. I dont have any pics of how it looked before, but now its flush. Before it was up just a high enough to be able to see the gasket by looking at it. Not with it hand tight on you cant see the gasket and hear no leaks. I used a rubber hammer and an extension to knock them back down with a good swing. Hope it helps