4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hesitation/Surging

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
67RETRO
1st Gear Member

My '02 had a similar issue, turned out to be a $20 vacuum line (mind you, circa 2005 pricing). The idle would surge back and forth from 500 to 1000rpms.

Never hurts to check, hope that helps.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

When last was the throttle body cleaned? To clean it must be removed and cleaned with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). You must make sure to cover the plug end or it will be ruined. There are video tutorials on how to remove and clean them. It would be nice to at least be able to eliminate that as being the problem or a part of the problem. I cleaned mine Sunday and had a noticeable difference in engine performance. Mine wasn't surging like you claim your is doing. Mine was lugging, the lugging went away immediatly.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Have you looked at a TPS sensor as well?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrMustang02gt
How goes it everyone. so i have a surging/hesitation issue. ive posted the same issue on here before but never really got any good answeres, im hoping to find someone that has had the same issue. i have a 02 4.6 with about 90k on it. over the past couple months ive developed this surge like feeling upon acccel. so i pulled the fuel filter and thing was filthy... changed it. problem still exists. i have no DTC to go off of but i pluged in my scanner anyways to read my PIDS. eveything looks norm. so i figured its gotta be ignition related. maybe a shotty plug or craked boot and spark is grounding to head. so i changed all my plugs w/motorcraft plugs and new rubber boot and springs. problem is still there. im really at a loss. the best way to discribe what im feeling is, is when i drive its a loss of power with a surging type of feeling... like a misfire.

side note: just got her smogged yesterday and she passed with flying colors. my emmisions were extremely low! so now thats kinda telling me maybe its not a misfire. obviously im getting a complete burn to have such low readings. please help. any and all logical feedback helps. thank you.
From everything you've listed that you've changed/checked etc. It almost sounds like a half clogged injector. This would make sense for hesitation and passing emissions with flying colors since the car would be running somewhat leaner. Just wanted to throw that out there for you to keep in mind. Hope you get everything figured out ASAP!

Shane

Originally Posted by Tom V
When last was the throttle body cleaned? To clean it must be removed and cleaned with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). You must make sure to cover the plug end or it will be ruined. There are video tutorials on how to remove and clean them. It would be nice to at least be able to eliminate that as being the problem or a part of the problem. I cleaned mine Sunday and had a noticeable difference in engine performance. Mine wasn't surging like you claim your is doing. Mine was lugging, the lugging went away immediatly.
^^ This as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Generall a clogged injector would cause a slight miss, not a surge at idle. The cylinder would also lean out at higher RPMS if the clog was that significant and would more than likley show evidence when pulling a spark plug.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Generall a clogged injector would cause a slight miss, not a surge at idle. The cylinder would also lean out at higher RPMS if the clog was that significant and would more than likley show evidence when pulling a spark plug.
A semi clogged injector can cause hesitation and doesn't always cause a miss fire. The OP also didn't mention how the old plugs looked or that he's familiar with reading plugs, unless I missed that part.

In fact, I just worked on a friends 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up with similar issues, which ended up being a semi-clogged injector. It was harder to diagnose because it didn't have the traditional clogged injector symptoms like you mentioned. Very lightly clogged injectors can have weird behaviors! After the injector replacement, he's driven a couple hundred miles with no problems.

Either way, I'm here to just give a little input to help the OP with my personal experience. Bouncing ideas off of each other is sometimes the best way to diagnose symptoms that won't clear up with typical treatments.

OP- Good Luck with your Stang. Let me know if there's anything I can do!

Shane
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

check the hoses on the intake, I had one come off and it sounded like it was camming, but a slight leak would be enough to throw the idle off, but not enough to throw a mixture lean DTC, so definitely something to check.

The best way to test the coils would be to buy one new one and swap it with every coil and see if the problem exists still, because it's probably just one coil that is causing the trouble IF that is it.

and as others have said TPS, cleaning throttle body, and possibly clogged injector could all cause this issue.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

i had a surging issue while acceleration and it ended up being the transmission was low on fluid.