4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2k1 GT Code Reader options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Default 2k1 GT Code Reader options?

Well here goes the first stupid question, I've searched but the information is a bit overwhelming. I gather I need an OBD II compatible device. It seems like there are some fairly inexpensive options around which is preferred. It also seems like some devices just give minimal data while others have options like freeze frame data etc. I'd like more data than less.

What are you using and what are the options? The CEL is currently on so I may run by Autozone this weekend to find out what's going on but I'd like to be able to check myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It's all about how much you want to spend and whether or not you know, or care to learn what all that data means. Generally the more detailed you can get the better. Especially if you can get one that can do real time data logging.

Just an afterthought, if you are going to get the expensive actron scanner just get a tuner for another hundred bucks. Most can do everything that the scanner can and you get the added benefit of being able to tune your car.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input Stevo, what do you use?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Most any code scanner will read the generic freeze frame data. This dataset holds engine operational data recorded when certain emissions related trouble codes are stored into continuous memory. On our cars these values are stored:

There are also what is known as Misfire Freeze Frame (MFF) parameter ID (PIDs) that only the high-end code scanners will read as they are manufacturer specific. I am not aware of any handheld tuner that can read these PIDs, which is why I do not talk about them a lot.

These are the MFF PIDs for our cars:

Only high-end, factory or custom scanners will access these codes...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

For the low low price of about $5,000 you can get one from snap-on.

As usual cliffyk is correct, as far as your question goes I do not have a handheld tuner at the moment. I have a good old fashioned dyno tune.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Stevo86
<snip>I do not have a handheld tuner at the moment. I have a good old fashioned dyno tune.
Just curious, do you not have any way of reloading the custom tune or returning the PCM to the stock tune?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for clearing things up, I wasn't sure what options there are etc. Guess I'll just get a basic unit or go to one of the auto parts stores.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I did not mean to imply that a basic unit was not well worth the money (BTW the scanners used by most FLAPS will not read the MMF PIDs). Harbor Freight has one for $60 that is a very good device, and another for $120 that does live data monitoring.

I have the $120 HF unit and find it works very well. I also have a couple of less expensive Actron readers, Alex Peper's OBD2 monitor¹, and a couple other oddball units.

-----------------------------------------------------
¹ - Alex Peper's OBD-2 system is only $120 for Ford PWM only kit, $240 for the TriCan kit that will work with nearly any OBD2 system. It is PC based and somewhat complex, however very capable and will read the misfire monitor freeze frame PIDS--here is a complete list of the PIDs it will scan.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

The Alex Peper seems like the way to go. Since you mention it is a little more complex do they respond timely to requests for help?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
The Alex Peper seems like the way to go. Since you mention it is a little more complex do they respond timely to requests for help?
The software is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago, however the supporting datasets (PID definitions, etc.) are updated very regularly. Support is mostly accomplished by digging through the poorly formatted web pages and through manufacturer specific data sources. There is not much hand holding as it is a professional/advanced enthusiast system--I.e. there is a fundamental assumption that you know what you are doing.

Some years ago it was made clear that they "made a capable tool", and that "learning how to use the tool is up to you". As it is a universal system there is just too much for them to provide entry level training--I respect that, when you buy a hammer it is expected that you know or will learn how to use it.

All that sort of negative stuff said, it is a dynamite tool for not a whole lot of money--it is the first one I grab when one of those "WTF?" situations that consumer level scan tools just cannot handle--I've had mine for 15+ years.

Once your obtain DTCs, look them up here to see what the Ford shop manual says about them--all the FLAPS guys will give you are generic descriptions...

Quick Reply: 2k1 GT Code Reader options?