4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2k1 GT Code Reader options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

To answer your question cliffyk, no, the tuner uses the DeltaForce Sniper tuner which flashes the data without an external interface (except of course the one he uses). The car won't run on a stock tune anyway so it's kind of a moot point. It was a difference of several hundred dollars in the tune since I didn't need the SCT tuner.

They have a handheld that you can use to store up to 5 custom tunes that I plan to pick up once I get the nitrous in there. Until then however, one does me just fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Stevo86
To answer your question cliffyk, no, the tuner uses the DeltaForce Sniper tuner which flashes the data without an external interface (except of course the one he uses). The car won't run on a stock tune anyway so it's kind of a moot point. It was a difference of several hundred dollars in the tune since I didn't need the SCT tuner.

They have a handheld that you can use to store up to 5 custom tunes that I plan to pick up once I get the nitrous in there. Until then however, one does me just fine.
To begin I agree, Delta Force's tuning packages are fully capable and the cost leader in DIY and professional tuning for our cars. However there is no such thing as "the Delta Force Sniper tuner", never was...

The company used to be called Sniper Tuning, and produced a number of tuning systems including Special Forces, Commando and Delta Forces--there was no "Sniper Tuner". Thing is that three or more years ago, and because of a pissing match with Holley over the Sniper name, they became Delta Force Tuning--that is why www.snipertuning.com gets you to a Holley NOS site. The "new" website is http://www.deltaforcetuning.com.

Also they do not make a handheld unit. What they do make is an interface box that connects to PC software via a USB cable, and to the car's OBD2 port another cable:

It does as you stated hold five tunes.

Special Forces includes the interface and the Special Forces software (more about SF here, and here).

Commando is the advanced user tuning package. It includes the Special Forces package and the Delta Force (DF) software, but only one DF template for a specified vehicle. Delta Force is the full professional package with either a select number of templates and licences (bullets) or the complete collection depending on how much you spend.

Your car will of course "run" on the stock tune, you will just have to avoid boost or whatever other power adder you might have. Also be aware that if you should ever go to a Ford dealer for service that may decide to "update" your PCM which will wipe out the custom tune. You may be like me, and there is a snowball's chance in Hell of that happening, however I wanted to mention it.

You should purchase the interface (I can provide it for $210) which will let you preserve your stock tune and have four additional tunes available.

FWIW, and in case you are wondering why I know all this, I wrote quite a bit of the Delta Force software, the little horsey in the onscreen logo of the latest version of Delta Force is "me":

Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

How is it you know everything? I can get the interface box from the guy tuning my car for $50, he's a real good guy and includes it in the price of the tune. I was going to opt out since I really only need the one tune but I respect your opinion since as I said, you seem to know everything.

Also, correct you are about running. The car will "run" on the stock tune. That is how I got it to the tuner. It will not however idle by itself or accept any sort of throttle opening without getting mad and running lean. The engine is all motor but with .550/.540 lift cams it needed some work to get the idle right and it still stalls occasionally. The final tune isn't finished yet, I just now got to 500 miles.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have been doing this sort of stuff (building/tuning/repairing things with motors) for 55+ years...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If you want to be able to use the code reader for a good long time meaning on future vehicles you might own make sure it is a CAN/OBDII reader. I'm sure most are now but I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaper ones at a Local Auto parts store are not