Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 GT
huey_33
Send a message via Yahoo to huey_33
Default Leaking Coolant

So I was driving on the highway today and all of a sudden I start smelling coolant. I get home, pop my hood and there is coolant splattered everywhere on the drivers side of the engine. I cannot find where its coming from because its not pooling anywhere. I then started my car and let it warm up again and couldn't see coolant coming from anywhere. Anybody have any ideas on where I should look? My hoses are good, could it be a possible cracked intake?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
FRPP 4.10's
J&M CC Plates
H&R SS Springs
Trick Flow Plenum
Trick Flow 75mm TB
Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts
SCT SF3/X3 Tuner w/ 93 octane race tune
huey_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

Could be. Do you see any stains/weird marks underneath the intake's coolant crossover towards the front of the car, or on any of the hoses?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 GT
huey_33
Send a message via Yahoo to huey_33

I just finished looking everywhere on my engine to see where the coolant could be coming from. Due to the ammount of coolant splattered on the drivers side of my engine, i can not determine where its coming from. There is a small puddle of coolant behind and another one beside the thermostat housing. Does anyone have any other ideas on what i could do in order to see where the coolant is coming from? Thanks.
huey_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Refill the system and let it run till you see coolant coming from someplace.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

With the information you given theres no way for someone to tell you were its leaking from, could literally be anything, freeze plug, intake, rad, a hose, etc etc. you need to clean the engine up fill it and run it, should be pretty apparent if its leaking that bad
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
iXephoz

Vehicle: 2002 GT Convertible

My Intake Manifold is cracked aswell, leaking coolant everywhere. You should try cleaning up around the manifold and where the hoses are to see possible cracks. Around my thermostat there is a puddle of coolant sitting from the leak. How many miles are on your engine? This happened to me around 110k
iXephoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement