4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dome light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Dome light staying on

Not sure why my dome light will stay on forever. I had to take the bulb out because it was really annoying when i was driving at night. It's also annooying that when i turn off the car the little chime will keep playing over and over. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dome light staying on

Hardtop or Vert?

Find the light green w/ yellow wire and follow it to and check for power along the key points; your alarm or keyless entry. Check at Fuse #8 (30amp) wired to the HD LPS Fuse (blk/Org).
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Hardtop or Vert?

Find the light green w/ yellow wire and follow it to and check for power along the key points; your alarm or keyless entry. Check at Fuse #8 (30amp) wired to the HD LPS Fuse (blk/Org).
Hard top. I'm having a hard time understanding what you just wrote lol. Where is this yellow/green wire?I know where to find the fuse #8, but don't know what or where the HD LPS Fuse is.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: art02gt

Hardtop or Vert?

Hard top. I'm having a hard time understanding what you just wrote lol. Where is this yellow/green wire?I know where to find the fuse #8, but don't know what or where the HD LPS Fuse is.
you know how you can brighten/dim the lights on the car using the little **** thingy? turn it clockwise, like your tightening it, it will turn off
Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 AM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000AZ5.0GT

Hardtop or Vert?

you know how you can brighten/dim the lights on the car using the little **** thingy? turn it clockwise, like your tightening it, it will turn off
won't that mess with my gauges too though?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

He's saying you might have it set all the way in one direction to the point where it turns on the interior lights...and leaves them on. I've been there, done that.[:@]
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Hardtop or Vert?

if you turn it all the way right, which you probably did at some point, it clicks, and turns on the reading lights. watch, just try it, there might be a little resistance, but just try it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

He's saying you might have it set all the way in one direction to the point where it turns on the interior lights...and leaves them on. I've been there, done that.[:@]
brother, I believe everyone has done that at some point.

the problem is it doesn't allow the alarm to fully engage, so it's alot easier to break into the car when the lights are like that.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Trace the wire to it's switches and fuses and find out where the closed circuit is. Two mail places would be the switch ^ that they are talking about and if you have an alarm with courtesy light supervision.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

Hardtop or Vert?

if you turn it all the way right, which you probably did at some point, it clicks, and turns on the reading lights. watch, just try it, there might be a little resistance, but just try it.
yes i tried it, i know it's not that because this problem slowly evolved. At first the dome light wouldn't stay on all the time. it was only at random times, but now it stays on all the time. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the diver's side door. Sometimes i hear that long beep (like when you open a door while the car is running) for no reason while i'm driving. Maybe it got stuck in the open position or something?

Quick Reply: Dome light staying on