4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The myth about Turbos..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

is it correct in saying that a turbo will put less stress on a motor than a SC?

assuming a SC and turbo running 8 psi, b/c of the "turbo lag" you can drive around under boost and almost treat it as not having one....

or is it also possible to do that with a SC as well as long as you leave your foot out of it.

thirdly..do they make a remote mount turbo for the New Edge? seems every turbo setup needs a tubular K member, wondering if anyone has done a setup leaving the car stock.

...no im off to go read that link on tubos lol
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

someone buy me a turbo kit.

Anyone heard anything about on3performance kits? Im not sure if their welds are all that great. Also the guy i called and talked to seemed like an idiot. I told him i needed 60# injectors and dual fuel pumps. He then told me a single SVT focus pump would suffice. I told him, my car does not have a stock bottom end its forged, im going to be well over mid 400whp, probably closer to 6. Then he tells me some guy i forget his name, is using that set-up on his 2v with no problems. I said how much power is he making? "Oh right around 430whp". *Facepalm*. The price however was very reasonable, for a 4v They told me $32xx to my door for a tubular K member ( i think a-arms?) 60# injectors an SVT focus fuel pump lulz/ piping/intercoolers and a masterpower T70 turbo. A hellion is avaliable for a little more.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn...if turbos are not that expensive maybe that might be the next thing to do.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
is it correct in saying that a turbo will put less stress on a motor than a SC?

assuming a SC and turbo running 8 psi, b/c of the "turbo lag" you can drive around under boost and almost treat it as not having one....

or is it also possible to do that with a SC as well as long as you leave your foot out of it.

thirdly..do they make a remote mount turbo for the New Edge? seems every turbo setup needs a tubular K member, wondering if anyone has done a setup leaving the car stock.

...no im off to go read that link on tubos lol
Stress: 8 PSI is 8 PSI. PSI means pressure per square inch. They both exhert the same pressure the difference is how efficiently it does that. That is why you will see more torque and hp from a turbo. As for stress the supercharger IMO puts more stress since the motor is turning harder to spin the pully.

Second you can drive centris like they are not even there. People can stay out of boost by driving in low rpms.

Third. Forget rear mount turbos!!!!!!! Now!!!!!
Pony down performance actually allows you to run the stock k member but your car cannot be lowered. The pipe runs under the k member.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Angry

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
someone buy me a turbo kit.

Anyone heard anything about on3performance kits? Im not sure if their welds are all that great. Also the guy i called and talked to seemed like an idiot. I told him i needed 60# injectors and dual fuel pumps. He then told me a single SVT focus pump would suffice. I told him, my car does not have a stock bottom end its forged, im going to be well over mid 400whp, probably closer to 6. Then he tells me some guy i forget his name, is using that set-up on his 2v with no problems. I said how much power is he making? "Oh right around 430whp". *Facepalm*. The price however was very reasonable, for a 4v They told me $32xx to my door for a tubular K member ( i think a-arms?) 60# injectors an SVT focus fuel pump lulz/ piping/intercoolers and a masterpower T70 turbo. A hellion is avaliable for a little more.
I am against on3. Sure the pricing is great but I'll pass. He uses a cheap turbo, waste gates, springs, and watch out for his weldings to crack within a year or 2. Why pay for something twice? People have good luck with them others have bad. Their v bands sucks to. I don't want to bash his product. I'll leave it there. All I'm saying is that he was banned from turbo mustangs for a reason. If it were me I'll pass.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

..any links to turbo kits?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Double...

Last edited by GTRACER88; 04-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
..any links to turbo kits?
http://ponydown.com/newcatalog/index...products_id=97

I'm having mine made and mark, turbo fab, said he might make some upon resquest for several forum members. Might. I'll let some of you guy know.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Stickied in the tech articles and how to section
Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Stress: 8 PSI is 8 PSI. PSI means pressure per square inch. They both exhert the same pressure the difference is how efficiently it does that. That is why you will see more torque and hp from a turbo. As for stress the supercharger IMO puts more stress since the motor is turning harder to spin the pully.

Second you can drive centris like they are not even there. People can stay out of boost by driving in low rpms.

Third. Forget rear mount turbos!!!!!!! Now!!!!!
Pony down performance actually allows you to run the stock k member but your car cannot be lowered. The pipe runs under the k member.
well i know, psi is psi, i brought up 8 psi being the max they are putting out, but the answer to my question has nothing to do with the max psi being put out by them lol maybe i worded it wrong.

but you did answer my qyestion of being able to drive around as if you have nothing on the car at all. to "baby" it and not having the motor experiance full boost all the time.

guys in the thunderbird forums have played with remote mount turbos and have had success with them, but prob lack efficiency as engine bay mounted systems and ecperience more turbo lag than maybe desired.

Quick Reply: The myth about Turbos..