4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is there a turbo for the street cars you would like to see tested?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Lets see you test that Intake with a Centri for chits n giggles, but I agree with AZ. If your not going big with a turbo then go home, although I say 550hp would where to start ( I know I know thats 50hp less then 600 ).
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
turbodano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I think the most helpful thing would be to test different sized turbos at different psi levels.

ie. 61mm, 66m, 71mm at 8psi, 10psi, 12psi,15psi ect to show how the engine responds to the turbo's size through the power band. It would be nice to see when the power comes on and how well it holds the curve.
Here is the turbo combos I have data on so far.
62mm Turbonetics 65mm exducer turbine wheel and .96 a/r

66mm S300 Borg Warner 79mm is the inducer to the turbine wheel and not sure on the exducer .88 a/r

67mm Precision 67HPQ 68mm exducer and .96 a/r

76mm Precision 76hpsh

I will compile the data over next few days and then post it up. On most of them I have back pressure numbers. Also the 76mm unit was just a turbo laying around we put on. We know it is to big for the engine combo we have in the car now.

The On3 kit comes with a Master Power 70mm I think. I have a local fella I can get test data from.

The power ranged from 447whp up to 556whp and all these dynos were done from 10psi to 13psi.

Last edited by turbodano; 06-17-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
turbodano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Lets see you test that Intake with a Centri for chits n giggles, but I agree with AZ. If your not going big with a turbo then go home, although I say 550hp would where to start ( I know I know thats 50hp less then 600 ).
We can do more I just threw 600whp out there because I thought that was where most of the street guys would be.

I am open to most anything so just let me know. As far as the Centri if we can find a loaner I will be happy to do the leg work and log the data.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Tork Tech already has a manifold for this kind of application that uses the stock style tb/plenum and it is already $1500, and this is bound to be more expensive than that, and im sure that with a 75mm tb/plenum kit on an edelbrock intake manifold with a CXRacing intercooler, you'd see as good or better numbers than this manifold for cheaper. Im a huge skeptic right now, and I hope you prove all my statements wrong. But the best comparison that you SHOULD show is a built 2v with some good heads(TFS) and a nice set of turbo cams(CMS) and run it with an aftermarket intake manifold(TFS or Edelbrock) with a 75mm tb/plenum(if needed) and a front mount intercooler and then swap over the same size tb to your intake manifold with everything that you need to make your intake work(heat exchanger, coolant reservoir, but nothing like an ice box or killer chiller that would give it an extra edge). Test those two setups at all three sizes i mentioned above and thats a comparison.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I guess I don't necessarily agree with that statement... turbo cars typically have a much more broad tq curve... that usually comes on a lot sooner than a centri supercharger.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I think that a small turbo(like hellion's standard kit) is a perfect starting ground. well over 400rwhp with only 8lb boost and quick spool and large amounts of torque.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I guess I don't necessarily agree with that statement... turbo cars typically have a much more broad tq curve... that usually comes on a lot sooner than a centri supercharger.
I just dont see the point of putting a turbo on a car unless you have a well built engine. If your gonna build the internals of a engine I think you should try and least make big power for the money spent, a 400hp turbo 2v makes no sense to me but IMO of course.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I just dont see the point of putting a turbo on a car unless you have a well built engine. If your gonna build the internals of a engine I think you should try and least make big power for the money spent, a 400hp turbo 2v makes no sense to me but IMO of course.
Why are turbos only recognized in "big power" situations? What exactly deters you from them in more moderate builds? I drive a 220awhp turboed car daily and I find no issue with it at all.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Why are turbos only recognized in "big power" situations? What exactly deters you from them in more moderate builds? I drive a 220awhp turboed car daily and I find no issue with it at all.
Because generally when you slap a turbo on a car like a new edge mustang you are going big power/gains. Turbo on DD'ers is great !! I love turbo charged 4 bangers to drive around for a commute, they are fun and convienent but on a Mustang I would want one to put me over 500hp plus some for the cost deficit.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

well considering all that you get with hellion's turbo kits(for us its all the fuel system upgrades to max out stock longblock, full tubular front suspension, turbo and piping), its a pretty decent deal I think. I mean you get the full turbo system that is pretty much bolt-on and has the capability to make over 500rwhp. I mean its kinda like building a V1 kit yourself. People do it because they want power and they might have future goals and at that point they just upgrade the headunit(turbo) and they are fine. But saying to go turbo is pointless unless youre making big power is just like saying that its pointless to do a blower unless you want big power.

Quick Reply: Is there a turbo for the street cars you would like to see tested?