4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Catless in strict states?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I have a stock mid-pipe sitting in storage for those pesky smog checks. For the rest of the time, I have a bassani catted x
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
I Call BS.

But someone once told me if you let the stock midpipe set without being used for so long that it "goes Bad" so to speak? any truth to this?
This is exactly what I do every 2 years in Ca. Stick the stocker back on, run the hell out of it, and go pass. Then I put the aftermarket catted X back on.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

As others have stated, you can swap on your catted pipe just to get the inspection done. I do this every year. The cats don't go bad from not being run on the car.

Almost every inspection I have had over the past several years, the tech has tapped on the cats to make sure they were not gutted. I had a shop fail me this year because my aftermarket catted mid-pipe has only 2 cats and the factory installs four.

I checked with a couple of local performance shops looking for a relaxed shop to get my car inspected at. Turns out the manager of my local O'Reileys parts store hooked me up with a local shop that plugged into my ECM, as required, and absolutely nothing more. I was literally in and out of the shop in less than 5 minutes.

It pays to ask around and find a laid-back shop. I wasted my time even installing the cats this year. Next year I'm getting 20% tint since I no longer have to worry about passing that aspect of inspection (NC law is 35%).
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Wow, overwhelming response. Thanks guys, really puts it in perspective. I would say I would go with high flow cats, but I believe my car came with 6 cats stock. Anything less would get me failed in this strict area I'm sure. I really love the tone of an off road x though. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by 99GTM
I really love the tone of an off road x though.
Sounds like crap with Flows
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

been catless since 03 no probs. got a modified exhaust ticket because he couldnt write me up for anything else, dude didnt even look at my cats and they prob never will lol.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Depends on the inspector

I recommend going to the shadiest ghetto inspection shop to get it done.
+1 to JC316.. I agree..i had an off road h since ive owned my car...i live in the ghetto so i dont have a problem with that but ...

some places have to check for emsissions id recomend taking it to a ghetto place ...or for one day go put your stock h pipe on (if you have it) then pass then go put you O/R back on..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Sounds like crap with Flows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntrLX86CHI

That video makes me beg to differ. He has the same setup I do, just with the O/R X installed. It's all a matter of opinion though. I happen to like the way that one sounds.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
+1 to JC316.. I agree..i had an off road h since ive owned my car...i live in the ghetto so i dont have a problem with that but ...

some places have to check for emsissions id recomend taking it to a ghetto place ...or for one day go put your stock h pipe on (if you have it) then pass then go put you O/R back on..
That seems to be the general consensus is to just keep the stock H pipe and swap it before emissions inspections. I'd probably still get pulled over and questioned where I live though. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTM
That seems to be the general consensus is to just keep the stock H pipe and swap it before emissions inspections. I'd probably still get pulled over and questioned where I live though. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the opinions.
I guess you need to take into account what mufflers and mid-pipe configuration you will be running. If you plan to run an O/R X with any chambered muffler, you will get a high degree of raspy resonance which I personally couldn't stand. I added two high flow cats to get rid of that characteristic. If you will have LOUD mufflers with your O/R pipe, you may be correct in assuming you will draw unwanted attention.

There are some combinations that are not too bad though, so it is up to you to decide what approach balances your risk aversion with your happiness.
GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: Catless in strict states?