4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Its not nearly as bad as some of these princess' make it out to be.
Haha. Alright. I don't like the way projectors look. If it's not that bad, I'll just install them in the regular housing.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
98LaserRedGT
1st Gear Member

In my 98 I have the Silverstar headlights with stock housings and I cant see jack at night so HIDs would probably be a lot better than just good bulbs.

On a related question, can HIDs be used with http://www.americanmuscle.com/9904-l...rs-black.html? I am looking at getting those but it says "Technical Note. Not intended for use with vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights or HID Kits."
Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

I just got my HID kit installed a couple weeks ago. The one I got was 8000K and it has a high beam and a low beam. Some kits only have have one beam. It's a big improvement over my stock lighting. Only one problem I have is that the headlights don't turn on unless I pull out the headlight switch all the way out. So you would have to do that every time to turn them on otherwise your driving without any beams! I think there called daytime running lamps. The cool feature I like is that I can flip from high to low with the handle at the side of the steering wheel. My High beam is yellow and the low beam is blue! Also I have a V6 mustang so I'm not sure if its different for GT's.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Its not nearly as bad as some of these princess' make it out to be.
Agreed 1000%

I have never once been flashed at night in the 4+ years I have had my HIDs.

By a car that is.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rumtillidie
I just got my HID kit installed a couple weeks ago. The one I got was 8000K and it has a high beam and a low beam. Some kits only have have one beam. It's a big improvement over my stock lighting. Only one problem I have is that the headlights don't turn on unless I pull out the headlight switch all the way out. So you would have to do that every time to turn them on otherwise your driving without any beams! I think there called daytime running lamps. The cool feature I like is that I can flip from high to low with the handle at the side of the steering wheel. My High beam is yellow and the low beam is blue! Also I have a V6 mustang so I'm not sure if its different for GT's.
I thought the headlights didnt turn on unless the switch was all the way out anyway? And maybe I misunderstand you, but you always switch from high to low with the handle beside the steering wheel?

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
Agreed 1000%

By a car that is.

Alright, that just me me positive I'm gonna get some. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
Agreed 1000%

By a car that is.
I've never been flashed either (edit: I have 35w from ddm), I have flashed other people though (mostly kids with their high beams on in their VWs) . I just would like to have a good set of projectors because they more efficiently distribute HIDs than the stock housing.

Last edited by tdcalhoun89; 02-08-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: see edit
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Go on ebay, find a pair on there, and call it a day. That's what I did 2 years ago and have never had a problem. The difference is night and day (literally) from the stockers to HID's.

our Mustangs are SIMPLE to do a HID kit in our cars.
DDM Tuning....6000k 55w 9007 (bulb) Hids on mine in stock housings. Alot of people get their panties in a bunch about HIDs in stock housings but they can either A.) suck it or B.) buy me projector housings.

Have had zero problems, and I am very pleased with the kit. Install would take a one eyed monkey 3 1/2 minutes.
+1 on these ideas.....I've never been flashed either, buuuuuut I have the smoked headlight housing lol
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangLouver
Can you look in your feedback and tell me who you bought yours from? If you could possibly find it. Or what brand it was or anything. And how much did you pay? Thanks for the tip
I forgot the exact seller, but just plug in "99-04 Mustang HID" and the entire kit will pull up. I paid around 80 bucks for mine. It comes with the entire headlights and the HID bulb already packaged, so all you have to do is basically plug-n-play with it, and just replace your old headlights and plug in the new ones. The entire process should take you 10 minutes. I bought mine in like, March of 2009 (I had them on my V6 Mustang at the time) and they're still good even today. Haven't gotten condensation or anything.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
+1 on these ideas.....I've never been flashed either, buuuuuut I have the smoked headlight housing lol
I'm gonna eventually get Smoked headlights, when I tint my tails, and get my windows tinted darker, and get my rims, and my lights. I have alot planned for the next dew months.

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I've never been flashed either (edit: I have 35w from ddm), I have flashed other people though (mostly kids with their high beams on in their VWs) . I just would like to have a good set of projectors because they more efficiently distribute HIDs than the stock housing.
I'll deal with it not being as focused...Unless I get smoked headlights, I MAY get projectors.

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I forgot the exact seller, but just plug in "99-04 Mustang HID" and the entire kit will pull up. I paid around 80 bucks for mine. It comes with the entire headlights and the HID bulb already packaged, so all you have to do is basically plug-n-play with it, and just replace your old headlights and plug in the new ones. The entire process should take you 10 minutes. I bought mine in like, March of 2009 (I had them on my V6 Mustang at the time) and they're still good even today. Haven't gotten condensation or anything.
Hmmm. I didn't wanna order the whole thing, Unless I can get smoked headlights with that, or smoke them later?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

This princess has been followed by cars with HID in stock housings and they can be a seriously obnoxious configuration. I have been pondering a set of 35W HID for mine, but I'm still holding off due to the worry over the impact to other drivers. The dark smoked headlights have made my poor factory lighting even worse.

I AM trying to be considerate of others, so glare is a concern of mine. Otherwise, I'd throw a set of 55W HID in it and say screw everyone like suggested above.

I plan to get DDM units if I do it, so I guess that would be my recommendation to you for sourcing.

Quick Reply: HIDs?