4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

just ordered my built 4r70w

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

Default just ordered my built 4r70w

just placed an order with Darrin from BCAutomotive for my built 4r70w. switching over from the 5 speed, but going with the full manual valve body, with the trans brake, and a 3800-4000 stall. he said he recommends i go with the B&M Hammer shifter. good shifter? or is there something better out there? looking for something that has the lockouts, and preferably some switches on it being i'll need a switch for my O/D, trans brake engage, and release. any ideas?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im not to sure about driveability with a full manua valve body onthe street with that trans, definatl something u wanna look ito first unless this is a track car man. When using full manual valve bodies in the chevy 700r4s and driving on the street u need to install a vacum reulator so the thing doesnt shift like a sledg hammer part throttle, or transmission life greatly decreases for a street car.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im not to sure about driveability with a full manua valve body onthe street with that trans, definatl something u wanna look ito first unless this is a track car man. When using full manual valve bodies in the chevy 700r4s and driving on the street u need to install a vacum reulator so the thing doesnt shift like a sledg hammer part throttle, or transmission life greatly decreases for a street car.
^ +1.

What is the primary use of your stang?

And what other mods do you have or plan to have to need a built trans?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsmarsh25
just placed an order with Darrin from BCAutomotive for my built 4r70w. switching over from the 5 speed, but going with the full manual valve body, with the trans brake, and a 3800-4000 stall. he said he recommends i go with the B&M Hammer shifter. good shifter? or is there something better out there? looking for something that has the lockouts, and preferably some switches on it being i'll need a switch for my O/D, trans brake engage, and release. any ideas?
Your the man.

You will love the trans.

Ive got a stock shifter with a custom vb, no manual here so IDK
Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Explosive

Very curious as to how you like the trans when you get it. I know darrin is pretty popular over at M1R and my trans will be getting built once I'm blown.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Darrin is the best with these trannies. I agree though, why the need for a mvb? is it a track car? I run the B&M hammer and it has lockouts, separate o/d button and at night in red all your different gears will light up, I love it. Congrats on the great purchase btw. What converter? Single disc/multi? lock up/non lock up?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

the car's going to be 50/50 street/strip. the reason for the built trans. is i'm already putting down 340rwhp and i'll be putting a blower on within the next 2 months. as far as being streetable, i've driven my cousin's t-bird s/c with a built aod, full manual v/b, 3800 stall, and it's very streetable. as far as the converter, i'm getting a mutli-disc, lock-up one. the biggest reason for the fmvb is so i dont have to mess around with changing out computers, and all of that electronic crap involved in swapping from a manual to an auto.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsmarsh25
the car's going to be 50/50 street/strip. the reason for the built trans. is i'm already putting down 340rwhp and i'll be putting a blower on within the next 2 months. as far as being streetable, i've driven my cousin's t-bird s/c with a built aod, full manual v/b, 3800 stall, and it's very streetable. as far as the converter, i'm getting a mutli-disc, lock-up one. the biggest reason for the fmvb is so i dont have to mess around with changing out computers, and all of that electronic crap involved in swapping from a manual to an auto.

nice, good **** bro

Cant wait to hear how much you love it
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

thanks. i'll definately keep you guys posted. now if i can just find a good used s/c setup for around 2500 or less lol
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

On3 turbo for $2100

Turbo + auto = fap fap fap

Quick Reply: just ordered my built 4r70w