4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Man, I feel like a fool/idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Just be REAL happy that the Police did not get involved! That brings in a total new level of hurt into the situation.........
Yeah, never even thought about that. Would of definitely made a bad situation worse. Not to mention, with that new Auto Parts building came new telephone poles. After driving back past there, I see I came within a couple feet of a very unforgiving telephone pole.

Total disaster...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Just be REAL happy that the Police did not get involved! That brings in a total new level of hurt into the situation.........
This^

Sorry to hear about it though man, definitely sucks when you mess up a car. We've all been there happens to the best of us, especially on the street where road conditions are unknown, gravel, dips, water, anything.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I'm sorry but that's funny. Go to show off and wreck the car -- priceless
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I'm sorry but that's funny. Go to show off and wreck the car -- priceless
Didn't feel priceless to me...lol Good thing there was a crowd on had to all laugh at me. Hahaha...Real funny...

I wasn't laughing.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03

However, this was the first time ever it just "snapped" sideways like that on me with absolutely no warning. I mean literally, in a blink of an eye, I was sideways and out of control. Maybe hit a oil patch on the road or something? It seemed like after grabbing 2nd and continuing the roasting, it was when I got off the gas is when it jerked sideways. IDK...

I believe this is called lift-off oversteer. Someone please correct me if Im wrong (Jazzer?). The rear wheels go from ~300 lb-ft of torque to 0 instantly transferring load to the front. Which results in the rear tires getting lose and stepping out.

We have all been there man, just try to find the bright side of this.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedkills;7864020[B
]I believe this is called lift-off oversteer. Someone please correct me if Im wrong (Jazzer?). The rear wheels go from ~300 lb-ft of torque to 0 instantly transferring load to the front. Which results in the rear tires getting lose and stepping out. [/b]

I really hope Jazzer chimes in quickly, cause I'm lost..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedkills
I believe this is called lift-off oversteer. Someone please correct me if Im wrong (Jazzer?). The rear wheels go from ~300 lb-ft of torque to 0 instantly transferring load to the front. Which results in the rear tires getting lose and stepping out.

I know. The bright side is there was no real damage but the rims and my ego. And the bruised rims are actually the silver lining on a dark cloud. I now get my 315's. As for the lift-off oversteer, you got me lost on that one. I just know that's the moment all went to ****.

I should of just stayed in it. Went for 3rd...lol
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Jeezzzzz. Glad everythign worked out and you are upgrading! $441 is cheap!

A few years back (maybe 4 or 5) I had a v6 mustang and I was driving down my street and I dropped my gatorade bottle in the passenger foot area. I leaned down to reach for it and as i did that, i guess i pulled the steering wheel to the right. BAM. smashed the curb and rashed my one wheel badly.

Then a year later I got a GT and there was a little bit of snow on the ground. I said "F*** it, I'm gonna go do some donuts in the coldasack half a mile away". Parents said "don't go out there! your car sucks!" Being a rebel, i head out. Well I get to the very last turn before the coldasack and it was a gradual curve -- Car started sliding. I had no more control. BOOOOOOOM. Smashed the curb with my driver side wheel. Took a CHUNK out of the wheel. Limped the car home. Got a new bullitt rim for free from a member on here (thank kmelfi! lol). Had to get a new alignment as well.

Sh*t happens. You'll laugh at it a while from now when you look back at how dumb it was hahaha
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Ugh that sucks! Ok I'll give you one to make you feel not alone. I was in my WS6 with a GF, stopped at a red light. There was a nice white Cadillac in front of me. We're in a turn lane, and the light turns regular green, no turn arrow. I am in my own little world, I step on the gas. Only problem, there's still a nice white Cadillac in front of me, stopped waiting for his chance to turn. Thankfully I only managed to get up to about 5 mph when I hit him. The GF looks at me and says 'why the hell did you go, dumbass??' Sigh.

We got out out to took a look, he was a cool older Asian man. We saw that his rear end was fine, and my front end was dented and the paint ruined. He said 'eh, mine's ok, and I think you've suffered enough. Pay more attention next time.' He got in his car and drove off. I went to the shop and paid 800 bucks to fix my bumper. And the constant reminders from the GF were, of course, delightful.

So yeah, I have had my stupid moment too. Hopefully we all only have one!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

You see if you would have been driving crazy and showing off more often, you would have know how to handle your car better. LOL. JK. Im sure you were more embarrassed than anything. It happens though, as long as nobody got hurt. Other day I drove through an alley and hit a huge pothole, my car bottom out and now my passenger door doesnt open properly.

Quick Reply: Man, I feel like a fool/idiot...