4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Homemade spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

who makes thyat valance?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
who makes thyat valance?
If you are talking about the splitter, mustangdepot makes it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eagle19
Well the spoiler would be shaped with styrofoam then I can fiberglass over it to give it a solid shell.

Plastidipping your whole car is actually becoming a big trend, due to the fact that it's a cheap alternative to painting your car and it's removable. So I can plastidip the car and protect the cars original paint from sun, weather, and rock damage and it still look awesome.

That splitter is the only one I have found for the 99-04 year model but its like $500...
I'm sure that's exactly how mine was made. Fiberglass over a mold (or in a reverse/inverted mold so to speak). I thought for some dumb reason you were just going to make the spoiler just out of styrofoam. Must of been the, "and three it'll be so light because of the styrofoam I could just 3m tape it on instead of drilling holes.", comment that misled me.

Mine is pretty lite being it too is just a fiberglass shell. I didn't have to drill any holes. I just utilized the rear two existing holes from the factory wing.

That front spoiler looks cool, but 500 freaking bucks? Looks like it be easy to duplicate. For a lot less than 500 bucks...lol Let me study that picture a little more...

And how does that plastidip apply? Do you spray it on like paint? Never messed with it...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03

And how does that plastidip apply? Do you spray it on like paint? Never messed with it...
Yeah you can get it in a spray can or you can buy gallon canisters of it and spray it on with a gun. A lot of people say it takes about 8-10 cans of it. They run about $6 a piece. I know you can get black, white, and red I believe. They are all flat colors but sell a special clear to put on it to allow it to gloss and still peel.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eagle19
Yeah you can get it in a spray can or you can buy gallon canisters of it and spray it on with a gun. A lot of people say it takes about 8-10 cans of it. They run about $6 a piece. I know you can get black, white, and red I believe. They are all flat colors but sell a special clear to put on it to allow it to gloss and still peel.
Well, then it might work and could look good. If its the stuff like what you dip the handles of a pair of pliers in, that might be a little on the thick side. Do you just reduce it like paint or is it specially designed to be spayed? I used to paint semi trucks. Single stage acrylic enamels and base coat/clear coat, and some water based. The paint that is sprayed out of an HVLP gravity fed gun has to be quite runny. About the consistency of milk. Maybe a tad bit thicker.

Although, I'd be quite nervous rattle canning a nice looking Mustang with anything. There is a couple ricer turds running around town that you can tell have the "15 cans of rattle can" paint job on them. Couple in flat black. They look horrendous to say the least.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Well, then it might work and could look good. If its the stuff like what you dip the handles of a pair of pliers in, that might be a little on the thick side. Do you just reduce it like paint or is it specially designed to be spayed? I used to paint semi trucks. Single stage acrylic enamels and base coat/clear coat, and some water based. The paint that is sprayed out of an HVLP gravity fed gun has to be quite runny. About the consistency of milk. Maybe a tad bit thicker.

Although, I'd be quite nervous rattle canning a nice looking Mustang with anything. There is a couple ricer turds running around town that you can tell have the "15 cans of rattle can" paint job on them. Couple in flat black. They look horrendous to say the least.
Yeah it's like the stuff you dip your pliers in, but it was thinned out. Yeah it can look crappy but it can look good too. The nice thing about plastidip is if it sucks you can just peel it off and start over. You can actually buy a whole kit from this guy online. If you look on the plastidip fb page or google "dip your car" with out the "" that website has a bunch of pics of what people have done with plastidip on their cars.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

That front spoiler looks cool, but 500 freaking bucks? Looks like it be easy to duplicate.
Yea, I wonder if we could find those two metal arms (not sure what to call them) somewhere for cheap.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
Yea, I wonder if we could find those two metal arms (not sure what to call them) somewhere for cheap.
I bet you can go to your local home depot and find something pretty close.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
I bet one could get the aluminum tie rods off a 4 wheeler. They'd have to be cut down a bit and re-threaded, but I'd bet it would work. And with the adjustments, would look like it would be fully adjustable/functional.

That's the first thing that popped into my head.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Worst comes to worse I'm sure some springs could be mounted and it would give kind of the same look.

Quick Reply: Homemade spoilers