4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Homemade spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Default Homemade spoilers

I've seen a lot of buzz about the homedepot chin spoiler and it sparked some ideas. I've done some searching but haven't seen anything. Has anybody made their own chin splitter? I was thinking about making one out of the garage seal and seeing if I can get a hold of a sheet of plexi-glass or something sturdy like that I think it would look cool. Almost like the Laguna Seca 302 type splitter. I haven't seen any sold for the 99-04 models.

I also couldn't find anything on if any body made their own cobra spoiler. I mean $600 for a cobra spoiler from AM is beyond rediculous for some thing that is non functional. I think I could get some styrofoam and shape it like the spoiler fiberglass it and do all the sanding and etc. and only be out $100.

Anybody have any other suggestions of maybe attempting to build these?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I think it's a great idea! Hell you could even rivet the peice on like a real racecar!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean about the Cobra spoiler being 600 bucks. I mean, that's just wrong.

I bought my Cobra spoiler off eBay for 170 bucks. Its a fiberglass replica. The guys user name was "a.r.m.i.fiberglass". I just checked and he doesn't have any current auctions at the moment.

However, this guy, "713_calvo" makes them and his eBay ad is almost exactly like the one when I bought mine. I'd almost bet its the same guy. Here is a link to his current auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mustang-cobr...9fc062&vxp=mtr

I had to do a little prep work and it didn't come with any mounting hardware. Cost me 150 bucks to have painted at a reputable body shop here in town. Will upload a few pictures of it before I got it painted. I had just painted it with green primer.

I was really impressed with the quality of the spoiler. To fill the front holes I went to a local hardware store and found a couple flat plastic plugs and had them painted along with the spoiler. Then just used silicone to affix them in place. I plan on filling holes permanently sooner or later. Can't seem to find any pictures of after the paint job.

I'd check it out though. A cheaper alternative.
As for the chin spoiler idea, now you got my wheels turning. Sounds like it would be an easy job. Will have to think about this one for a bit. I'm pretty crafty when it comes to **** like this...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info MyGT03! Yeah I did some more searching and their is a company in my next town over that sells a fiberglass copy for $200. I think I may try to build it myself one just to see if I can do it, two for bragging rights, and three it'll be so light because of the styrofoam I could just 3m tape it on instead of drilling holes. I don't have a gt yet but I'm planning on dropping the front springs, get some starfish wheels plastidip em glossy black, widen the back rims, make my own exhaust(similar to slp's), make my own CAI intake, and plastidip the whole car flat black. I think if I can pull off making my own splitter and rear spoiler that'll make look extremely mean.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^sounds like a showstopper
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
^sounds like a showstopper
Thanks! I just hope it looks as good as it does on paper.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

Can't wait to see this
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000VertGT
Can't wait to see this
I can't either, I wish my truck would hurry up and sell so I could hurry up and buy a GT.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Found the pictures of the spoiler after paint. Will throw on a few.

Was just playing around with the camera.

I don't know about a spoiler made out of styrofoam. Be hard to get a nice smooth finish. Probably be better off just spending the 200 for the fiberglass one. Save money by painting yourself. As for plastidipping the entire car? I don't know about that one. It'd be worth a try I guess if it doesn't cost that much. I heard if you mess that stuff up, you can just peel it off. Can you upload a link of this splitter front spoiler so I can get an idea.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03
I don't know about a spoiler made out of styrofoam. Be hard to get a nice smooth finish. Probably be better off just spending the 200 for the fiberglass one. Save money by painting yourself. As for plastidipping the entire car? I don't know about that one. It'd be worth a try I guess if it doesn't cost that much. I heard if you mess that stuff up, you can just peel it off. Can you upload a link of this splitter front spoiler so I can get an idea.
Well the spoiler would be shaped with styrofoam then I can fiberglass over it to give it a solid shell.

Plastidipping your whole car is actually becoming a big trend, due to the fact that it's a cheap alternative to painting your car and it's removable. So I can plastidip the car and protect the cars original paint from sun, weather, and rock damage and it still look awesome.

That splitter is the only one I have found for the 99-04 year model but its like $500...

Quick Reply: Homemade spoilers