4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2011+ GT Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I don't see the issue.

iPods are manufactured in Taiwan -- does that make them junk?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would bet money they were cheaper, that's why Tremec lost the bid. Further research turns out Tremec is making a nearly direct replacement with an integral shifter--they call it the S197-T56 Magnum:

Apparently they used a 2-piece drive-shaft as well (another NVH "pussification" thing I did not know they had done), apparently to make it just like "my father's Oldsmobile".

Here is a Livernois one-piece replacement and the stock unit:

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The two peice ds is a massive weakpoint for anyone that wants to do some serious drag racing with a good suspension and stickey tires, thays been proven time and time again.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yeah, but there's much less vibration to make the car more "comfy"--part of the aforementioned "pussification" of America...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Things would be different if these cars were designed for racing.

It sucks but it's part of our economy. There is always someone willing to make a more efficient and less expensive component.

Tremec, I'm sure, built one of the best transmissions to date for that new 5.0GT...only to lose the bid to Getrag because they built a less expensive peice that got the job done for the application.

Look at it this way....Ford's mustang has been the longest running model car in history....for a damned good reason. And that reason is ford's ability to adapt to supply and demand.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

On the "Pussification" I agree it is lame, but remember for everyone one of us who wouldn't mind a little less comforot in a mustang there is 50 people who do want the quiet comfy ride.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
On the "Pussification" I agree it is lame, but remember for everyone one of us who wouldn't mind a little less comforot in a mustang there is 50 people who do want the quiet comfy ride.
I understand 110% why it's being done, sort of the same mentality that produced the "Mustang II" when gas prices went up in the 70's, or that considered replacing the RWD model with the Probe in the late 80's...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Things would be different if these cars were designed for racing.

It sucks but it's part of our economy. There is always someone willing to make a more efficient and less expensive component.

Tremec, I'm sure, built one of the best transmissions to date for that new 5.0GT...only to lose the bid to Getrag because they built a less expensive peice that got the job done for the application.

Look at it this way....Ford's mustang has been the longest running model car in history....for a damned good reason. And that reason is ford's ability to adapt to supply and demand.
For muscle cars (though I would argue that fitting the Mustang II into the "Muscle car" category is a stretch).

For US sports cars the Corvette holds that honor--1953 through the present.

The F-series pickups have been in production since 1948, and the granddaddy of all is the Chevy Suburban, since 1935...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I don't see the issue.

iPods are manufactured in Taiwan -- does that make them junk?
Spot on. and Imay be wrong here but I was sure that various/numerous parts of the ford gt came from different countries. China and imported goods seems to be a hot topic on some news media stations now so maybe thats what make it such a 'issue" now to some but its nothing new IMO alot of things we have are imported goods.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Shiza! I didn't realize those models made a new 'model' every single year.

Quick Reply: 2011+ GT Transmission