4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuner or cams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by llooggaann
Am i looking for a PI headswap? or are we talking the full engine here..
Full PI swap= PI heads, pi cams, pi intake. and with the different pistons in the npi block you will get a bum in compression with a pi swap so a PI swapped 4.6 will have a higher power output than the 99-04 pi engine.

So not an entire engine but the Top end of the engine heads,cam,intake.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Oh and FYI "N/A" means "Naturally Aspired" not "Non-Aspired." A "non-aspired" engine would make 0 horsepower :P
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I don't have the kind of cash at 17 to put a supercharger/turbo in just yet. So no, but who knows what the future holds, I'd love to if i could.
I said the same thing when i was 17 and i got my car, now i am getting ready to turn 20 and i have cams, gears, full exhaust, and a blower and the supporting mods lol

But as for cams vs tuner. When you install cams you dont really need a dyno tune but it helps the car perform a lot better with one, and in order to get a dyno tune you need a handheld tuner or a chip so i would say tuner first.

I agree with these other guys i would say save up for a PI swap. You will really notice a difference in performance when you do the swap
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I turn 17 next month and I'm doing the PI swap right now, should be finishing it up this weekend.. It did take a little bit for everything, I'll let you know what the results I get out of it. I did just order a tuner also, so I'm hoping to see a pretty significant difference after all of this.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Pretty sure youll need some kind of tune for the cams, but i wouldnt even bother woth non pi heads, u can probably drop in a 4v for around the same as a pi swap if u fInd a cheap motor
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
llooggaann

How much effort is it to do a pi swap? (heads,cams, and intake) is this a quick change, or does it involve taking a lot out?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Well, some could probably see this coming, but I say ditch the SOHC 2v and get a DOHC 4v motor. Just my two cents. Costs a little more, but the initial power and gains with each mod are so much greater.

If you're willing to look a 4v swap can be done for just a couple hundred more than a PI swap.

I'll probably be alone in recomending this, but I'm happy I made the jump to a 4v and stayed away from the 2v.

Nice looking car, OP. Love the color...welcome and happy modding!

EDIT: To answer your question, you can do the PI swap with the motor in, but to a full swap the heads have to be removed wich means the front cover comes off, and space will be really tight.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

It's been said but if you get cams, you still need a tuner, so by the tuner from americanmuscle.com first then save and get the cams
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
llooggaann

Thank you, The thing I'm worried about is the price of labor. Someone told me i'd be looking at an easy 20 hour job? that doesn't sound right imo. If anyone has any info on the price they paid for the swap, that would be more than helpful.

@ slow 'stang: How much did you pay to jump to a 4v ? and did you do it yourself, or pay a person/shop?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
llooggaann

Thank you, The thing I'm worried about is the price of labor. Someone told me i'd be looking at an easy 20 hour job? that doesn't sound right imo. If anyone has any info on the price they paid for the swap, that would be more than helpful.

@ slow 'stang: How much did you pay to jump to a 4v ? and did you do it yourself, or pay a person/shop?
A full PI swap that is ^

Quick Reply: Tuner or cams?